Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am , I believe, chasing a coolant leak on my 09 700 Transalp. When it gets a bit warm , from standing in traffic, it starts to exhibit that sweet smell associated with antifreeze. So I top up the expansion tank, AGAIN & carry on. No VISIBLE leak or drip so its probably a very small leak hitting something hot & evaporating. Is there anywhere they are known to leak from ? On the move, even at 80 MPH cruising , it controls at 75 degrees. Fan cuts in at 103. Suggestions please gentlemen & ladies !

·
Registered
661 Posts
Put some talcum powder over the engine coolant / coolant hose areas, take it for a spin and give it a close examination to spot the leak.

·
Registered
163 Posts
On my 650 the coolant is always a fraction below the MAX line. If I fill the expansion tank to the mark it pushes what I added out of the overflow and winds up just below again and yes you can smell the coolant. The MAX mark is not the normal state. The bike will run from coolant change to coolant change without the level dropping further. This may be what is happening to you. Does the level continue dropping if you leave it without topping up?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I have been unable to trace said leak, would it be permissible to add a proprietary leak prevention additive to the coolant system. If so, which would be the best. ? Would it be ok to add it via the header tank as the radiator is not immediately accessible.?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts