Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
As you know I am new to the world of Transalp. Which engine oil do folk use? Synthetic or semi ? Which COMMA oil as I can get that & others trade ! Number plate lamp not working. Bulb is good when tested. Is this common. ? Is there a special tool to REMOVE spark plugs after they have been unscrewed. If so what does it look like. (Haynes manual page1.13 fig 5: 4b. Cant really see what it looks like. OR does one just NOT NEED IT ? Lastly. Is removal of belly pan/lower fairing , straight forward. Will I need to remove Touratech sump guard FIRST. ? Thanks guys. Soon I hope to be giving advise instead of seeking it. I believe I got pretty informed on most subjects BMW R1100RT !! Not got over her loss yet. 馃槬

Registered
don't forget to replace the drain bolt crush washer too. see:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Drain-Sump-Bolt-Washer-For-Honda-XL-700-VA-Transalp-2011-2013/400878205854

the spark plug tool should have a rubber grommet thing in it, which "grabs" the plug, so the plug can be drawn out after unscrewing it, or use a bit of garden hose etc

s-l300.jpg

i think you will need to remove any belly pan/sump guard to access the drain bolt. it's easy to remove. just a few bolts

if you're new to transalps don't forget to keep your chain slacker than all the manuals suggest. aim for about 1 inch of slack when you are sitting on the bike

the number plate bulb fuse may have blown, i am not sure what other things use that fuse

Registered
I have a 700 and use 10 w - 30 engine oil as the manual specifies. The fuse box is under the seat try interchanging fuses and find is that a problem. I am afraid you will have to take a belly pan off to access the sump. it is not a big job though as ds99 said only a few bolts

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Found the cause of the number plate lamp problem. It wasnt plugged in !!
Re the sump plug. Mine has the crash bars fitted & I am not sure that the lower fairing (belly pan) can be removed & replaced without removing the crash bars . What do others think ?

Registered
Can you post a pic of the bars.

Did the previous owner mention there was a problem with the set up and access?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts