posted this on Bigtrailie, but as its technical will post here also

bigtrailie • Login

:thumbup:

will edit signiture to read 3 XLVs :color:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-xrv-750r-/121374761055?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1c427fe05f

Well I could not resist a low punt at this as I noticed the other bidders appeared to be breakers, and I hate to see a bike broken when it's an electrical fault ( ok xlv are prone to stator failure but a 150 euro ignitechunit will fix that )

Cost almost as much to courier up from Wales to Aberdeenshire but at under agrand for a non runner and a parts bike... Bargin

A non runner went for £1500 plus earlier in the year and that had exhaust studs broken off and other mischief

So two heaps arrived last Tuesday :-

Busy with other stuff so initial cleaned up to see what I had.....

One blue xlv 750 r
looking a bit worse for wear after 4 years in a shed,

Front head light off and wiring akimbo
No battery but otherwise intact

One red xlv 750 r

Not even a rolling chassis,

Rear wheel out and very corroded
Tank off and no carbs
Clutch off and missing all plates, no pulse coils

Ok.....

Red one put on to rolling bike stand and will put together as a rolling chassis with my good spare rear
Two hardly worn TK80s bonus

Next day thoroughly cleaned the blue bike, not to bad,

Rims ok
Engine oil clean
Tanks has slight dent on the left but not creased
All parts there, but no power when I connected a power pack..... No lights zip

Took a plug out of each pot shorted starter with a fat screw driver.

Engine cranked a treat.. No mischief there

Checked stator exiter coils that power the CDIs, both open circuit so a rewind or ignitech unit needed

Checked pulse coils, one open circuit .....

So with one pulse coil and no power to CDIs. Bike dead, this must have been the original fault

So looks like an engine out and full stator rebuild and retrofit pulse coils (the coils are discontinued so hunt down some 600 transalp ones on ebay)

so this is looking like a full rebuild and with the other projects I have this may be getting a low priority

Gets some more time and check why no power, fuse dropped off?

Starter solenoid had an external fuse not the red connector like both the other xlvs with integral main fuse .. Fuse fitted , key turned. .....Fuel pump rattled in when ignition on as relay has been bypassed , all indicators and lights work

No great wiring mischief then

Check pulse coils again but this time not at the connector, but pull the whole cable out and notice some damage and bear the wires as close to engine as possible .... Both ok ... Wire damaged

Mmmmmm with the ignitech of my other xlv I could get this thing fired up and check the engine

Repair the pulse coils wiring and check from the plug , no issues, install the ignitech unit and remove the front plug, crank over and have a spark

Repeat on the rear pot ........ Both sparking well

So do I shot some fuel in and fire it up, very temped....

No. Tank off as it looks to be full of crap .... Ignition on and feed pump from a fuel tank until it stops..

Good both carbs are primed and float valves are holding

Choke on press the starter......... Fired up on both pots instantly and ticks over..... Sweet no rattles or clanks

Steady xlv throb, but very rough off the throttle

Add a good dose of carb cleaned to the small feed tank and let the bike tic over for a while

Front pot steady 135c rear 120c on the infra red temperature thingie I have,

Oils flowing through the cooler to the frame, check levels, bike has been overfilled (. Common mistake on these , but a good one)

Check alternator and r/r 14 v All good

No oil leaks all sound

So mission accomplished it lives ... But what next.................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-xrv-750r-/121374761055?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1c427fe05f

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
You'll soon have a museum there mate! I'm always tempted by the bay of evil but time and shed space are against me!
Best of luck with your projects mate, I'm still working on my Elefant.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You'll soon have a museum there mate! I'm always tempted by the bay of evil but time and shed space are against me!
Best of luck with your projects mate, I'm still working on my Elefant.
Museum..... Nice one

Will use that one on the wife... Sounds better than scrap heap :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will post some pictures when I can,
bit distracted as I now have a granddaughter :) born yesterday but 11 weeks early 2lb 2 oz , both doing well but the wee wee one will be in neonatal for quite some time so the grandsons will need entertaining :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Congratulations I have strapping 8 year old twins who came ten weeks early, brilliant places these neonatal units.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations I have strapping 8 year old twins who came ten weeks early, brilliant places these neonatal units.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

Her two boys were early too but little miss awkward is the lightest yet :)

Both doing well but the wee one will be in awhile so granddad skills and time needed elsewhere :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup common as muck :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quick up date

ragged it up the lane gearbox ok ...

forgot how unique this bike is to ride :thumbup:

xlvs.jpg

·
Hill Rider
3,111 Posts
Which one you "ragging" - mine or yours? :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which one you "ragging" - mine or yours? :thumbup:
MINE all Mine...............................precious... :clown:

thought you weren't interested after your inspection, as its not got mirrors :D

new ignitech unit arrived, swapped for the one borrowed from my old Rf and fired up first time, cant praise them enough, great folk good kit.

even just after a run down the lane.... and running rough its a legend

·
Hill Rider
3,111 Posts
Been "codgatating" - it's what us old folk do when we think we're thinking! Plus had a few other things to occupy my mind :(

I'll see you next weekend at Strontian and we can discuss terms for release :thumbup:

Steve

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
release ......

you will need vetting XLV is not just for Christmas you Know......

apparently only 20 registered in the UK....:hitler::D

and your now not only AT less, but not even a V twin in the stable :clown:

did you spot the RD03 ready in the back ground:thumbup: see you at Ardnamurchan

Edit:-

other stuff... is life dude :(... just happens when your look up after sorting your bike

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
beautiful bikes I would really love to own one more than any other bike actually they have become the holy grail for me :thumbup: its a real pity the made so few and they had such a short production run . but on a positive note the transalp 600 sold well so still plenty of them to be had .

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
very nice Ray

I spotted the front of an RD03 too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts