Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just picked up my new (to me) year 2000 XR250, it has a standard exhaust but is missing the baffle in the end, which I think is referred to as 'the peashooter'.

I searched the forum and read the many posts on various baffles etc. but what I wanted to know is, firstly, does anyone know the Honda part no. for the bit that is missing and also, did I read that they are really difficult to get back in once removed?

I think I would prefer to fit the genuine Honda part rather than make up something that will fit - here's a couple of piccys of what I have...

cheers

Dan

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
I had the same problem with my XR400R that came to me minus the central 'peashooter'. But they're very restrictive & the acknowledged upgrade is to fit a Vortip...
vortip - Google Search

This part worked out very well for my bike & redirected the sound downwards...ideal for greenlaning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem with my XR400R that came to me minus the central 'peashooter'. But they're very restrictive & the acknowledged upgrade is to fit a Vortip...
vortip - Google Search

This part worked out very well for my bike & redirected the sound downwards...ideal for greenlaning.

OK, thanks for the reply.

To be honest, I'm not that bothered about the original part being restrictive as, at my time of life, I only bought the bike for pottering. I wanted to go fast and make lots of noise when I was younger (lol) but now I just want it to be as quiet as possible. If I could get the original part no. then I could shop around to see who has them and at what price.

Dan

·
Registered
318 Posts
or you could try lings honda, google them and you will find all the contact details, I,ve got loads of stuff from them, and cheaper than dealers. The xr250r is actually designed to run without the peashooter in place, but will run fine obviously with it in, I know you dont want noise but the pea shooter does make the xr sound like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
VW beetle exhaust tip.cost about £5 fit and work perfect.
I have been useing them for years ....love them :thumbright:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this what you mean?

Just how quiet do the VW tips run?

Best price I've had for the Honda peashooter is £62.98 plus vat....so a bit pricey really.

Dan

·
Registered
494 Posts
Is this what you mean?

Just how quiet do the VW tips run?

Best price I've had for the Honda peashooter is £62.98 plus vat....so a bit pricey really.

Dan
That's the one's

All you need to do is remove the 3 x8 mm bolt's and pull out the chrome end.
Attached to this is a mesh tube with a end cap.

just cut this mesh off close to the end of the chrome exhaust tip.
then replace the chrome end into you exhaust and replace the 3 x 8 mm bolt's.

now tap the VW exhaust tip into the XR's chrome tip.it's best to put a bit of wood over the end of the VW tip then tap that with a hammer, this way you won't damage the VW tip.

we tend to tap all but 2 inches of the VW pipe into your XR's chrome exhaust tip.

you will find that the bike run's better with this in,also it helps if you remove the snorkel from under the seat on top of your air box.

if you refit the standered honda pea shooter it will cause a flat spot and also reduce the power.if you do get one they are easy to fit,just tap it in and it's held in place with a self tapping screw.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the one's

we tend to tap all but 2 inches of the VW pipe into your XR's chrome exhaust tip.

....I don't understand this bit.....d'y mean you leave 2 inches of the VW pipe sticking out of the end of the Honda tailpipe? Why would you do this?

Dan

·
Registered
494 Posts
....I don't understand this bit.....d'y mean you leave 2 inches of the VW pipe sticking out of the end of the Honda tailpipe? Why would you do this?

Dan
yes leave 2 inch sticking out.

it's to do with the back pressure,we tried it in different postions and it seemed to work best this way.

it's worth you trying it for £5 if you don't like it at least you have not spent a lot
if you have a look at this photo you can see it fitted to my exhaust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes leave 2 inch sticking out.

it's to do with the back pressure,we tried it in different postions and it seemed to work best this way.

it's worth you trying it for £5 if you don't like it at least you have not spent a lot
if you have a look at this photo you can see it fitted to my exhaust.

Cheers Daz

I have a friend who's into VW Beetles (old type) - he has two, so I called him up this aft. and he said he needed to order new exhaust tips for one of his Beetles, as it currently has megaphone ends on and is too noisy. He checked up for me and he said from his supplier they are available in 'summer climate' chrome at £4.50 each or stainless steel at £18.00 each....I've asked him to get me the cheap one to try - as you say, not much risked at £4.50 a shot, so I'll keep you posted.

Hey, lots of good info on this forum...

Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Dan,
How you getting on - did you get that VW tip yet?
If so, how do you find it performs? Noise? Power?

If not, and if you still want a peashooter baffle, I've got a brand new one which came out of my XR400. I fitted a Vortip instead. I think it fits the XR250 too, but someone will soon be along to tell me otherwise :D

Cheers,
Dave.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
The good thing about the stainless steel Vortip insert is that it directs the noise downwards rather than into the faces of those that would otherwise not have us riding on the greenlanes that we enjoy.

And it's less restrictive than the OEM peashooter...

·
Registered
12 Posts
The good thing about the stainless steel Vortip insert is that it directs the noise downwards rather than into the faces of those that would otherwise not have us riding on the greenlanes that we enjoy.

And it's less restrictive than the OEM peashooter...
Yep - I'd agree with you 100 percent there 416cc. The Vortip sounds MUCH better than the OEM peashooter. Running with no baffle at all was just too offensively loud for me if you're green-laning. The Vortip cuts the noise down nicely, but keeps a nice deep muted bark that the OEM peashooter just stifles, and doesn't knock too much off the power, which again can't be said of the peashooter.

However, Dan did say: "To be honest, I'm not that bothered about the original part being restrictive as, at my time of life, I only bought the bike for pottering. I wanted to go fast and make lots of noise when I was younger (lol) but now I just want it to be as quiet as possible."

Dan, if you should want a Vortip instead, I happen to have one of those too, that is surplus to requirements. I could be persuaded to part with it for the right price. Apparently they've stopped making them now, so they're like proverbial rocking-horse poo to get hold of.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers,
Dave.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yep - I'd agree with you 100 percent there 416cc. The Vortip sounds MUCH better than the OEM peashooter. Running with no baffle at all was just too offensively loud for me if you're green-laning. The Vortip cuts the noise down nicely, but keeps a nice deep muted bark that the OEM peashooter just stifles, and doesn't knock too much off the power, which again can't be said of the peashooter.

However, Dan did say: "To be honest, I'm not that bothered about the original part being restrictive as, at my time of life, I only bought the bike for pottering. I wanted to go fast and make lots of noise when I was younger (lol) but now I just want it to be as quiet as possible."

Dan, if you should want a Vortip instead, I happen to have one of those too, that is surplus to requirements. I could be persuaded to part with it for the right price. Apparently they've stopped making them now, so they're like proverbial rocking-horse poo to get hold of.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers,
Dave.

we found that the Vortip was louder than the VW tip :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

If your interested in giving this a try then I think I have one of the beetle tips in my shed. If I can find it you can have FOC.

Cheers

Adie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
my standard XR250R exhaust has been "modified" and is too noisy. I'm very interested in this "beetle exhaust tip" but can't seem to find one!
Please can anyone point me in the right direction?
thanks, Tim

·
Turgid member
171 Posts
Try looking up "machine7.com". There are plenty of web sites that cater for old Beetles though.
You will see the tips in chrome and stainless.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts