Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I am new to all of this forum business but i have bought an XR 250 1995 (Jap import with electric start).
It had a really loud ticking noise so i stripped her down, found the camshaft and followers to be knackered.
£500 on parts later i have changed the camshaft, followers, oil pump and renewed the cam chain and tensioner, now it runs like a sewing machine.
Just thought i would create a post to give advise if anyone needed it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice one. (Sorry to here about the engine)
Had some fun and games myself in the past.
Took a load of pics once whilst doing a top end rebuild, here's one of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't quite go that far, I did wonder what is it like getting the rings back inside the bore as you lower the
Block onto the piston?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Real easy with these.
You just set the ring gaps 120° apart before lowering the cylinder head. (Same for the 3 oil scraper rings bellow)
The outer edge of the second ring is angled sloping downwards, and the third rings are the oil scrapers.
No ring compressor needed, you can just use your fingers.

This was after I stuck the cylinder head back on with 2 new gaskets. (The top end has three sections)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh i wondered how you removed the ring compressor once the rings entered. Didn't realise you could do it by hand. Did you replace the oil pump after doing all of this and what made you do a top end overhaul? poor starting?

·
Registered
18 Posts
No probs with oil pump, and yes, bad starting/easy cranking compared to other XR's I've had.
Was a bit fiddely but no peobs, and the barrel was well within tollerance. (Can post all pics if you like)
I also learned that removing the outer layer of the standard air filter, having tight valve clearances and fitting a new plug helps a lot with starting.
This new one I have starts first time ever time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts