Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that after a oil change with filter this bike should hold 1.4lts. its a 96 model what is confusing is the dip stick in the frame , it has 3 marks on it i assume low. med. high. but about 2" above these marks is another mark ?? what is this mark for ?? and do you check the level with a cold or warm engine. thanks in anticipation for your replies.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Easiest way to check an Xr oil level is run it for 20 mins a small ride is normally what i did then when you get home hit the kill switch pull the dipstick out wipe it off and put it back in but do not screw it in as you will get a false reading. Doing the oil level check cold will give you the wrong reading as over a period of time the oil will run from the tank down the engine you do need to give them a run or check it when you come home i think my 400 used to take between 1.8litres roughly may be a bit more after a change

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
I've always gone by oil level rather than amount. I put in so much as to get to the half way marker on the dipstick (the owners & workshop manual tells you which is the marker to use), run the engine for a while then top it up accordingly. If you put in too much it'll huff the excess up into the airbox or out through the crankcase breather.

With oil filters it's a good idea to soak the new/dry filter first before installation. I have found that,especially with spin on car & bike filters, that they take a considerable amount of engine oil before being saturated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pain in the arse doing a oil change on the xr . I always get oil all over especially out of the frame . Thing that bugs me is when you have removed all the old oil , put in new filter and bled it accordingly you can then put new oil in , but it only accepts a bit cause it quickly overflows , so i get this feeling there is no oil gone down into the sump . So you have to kick it over ( not good ) to get the oil circulating , then power off and top it up again until you hit the right level . This is a laborious job . Am i right in thinking this is what you do full stop or am i missing something .

·
Registered
408 Posts
Pain in the arse doing a oil change on the xr . I always get oil all over especially out of the frame . Thing that bugs me is when you have removed all the old oil , put in new filter and bled it accordingly you can then put new oil in , but it only accepts a bit cause it quickly overflows , so i get this feeling there is no oil gone down into the sump . So you have to kick it over ( not good ) to get the oil circulating , then power off and top it up again until you hit the right level . This is a laborious job . Am i right in thinking this is what you do full stop or am i missing something .
I part fill mine ( put 1 litre in) & kick it over with the decompressor pulled in ( engine not run)
This circulates the oil around the engine, without starting it, so I figure it is kinder to the engine
Easy to get level right then

1 - 7 of 7 Posts