·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Direction Indicators

Anybody fitted some ??

I tried to fit some today and failed

Here's how

All bolted up and connected to the existing colour coded bullet connectors in the loom

Relay already in place and switchgear present & working

Fired up the bike, both rear indicators worked when switching between right and left switch and cancel button worked

Nothing from either front indicator

Tested all bulbs and live feeds/earths etc with a meter

All tested ok

Tried a front indicator in the rear and it worked

What's wrong ?

All other lights working fine

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still no joy ......

Only thing I have spotted is that the new front oem genuine Honda Indicators have a 12v/21w bulb (tested and working) .......but the rear New aftermarket Honda 'copy' Indicators have 12v/23w bulbs and these are ones lighting up - not the fronts

So is the 2w difference sucking the power from making the fronts light up??

Is the 2w difference significantly a factor

Should I get some 12v/21w bulbs for the rears ??

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Different wattage bulbs shouldn't stop the front indicators from working but they should be the same if changing those don't fix it you must have a wiring fault somewhere

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I would use a test lamp rather than a multi meter as they can give you misleading readings if your not familiar with them. Your indicator will work fine as one. See if you can connect the one wire to a good ground on the bike, connect a short length of wire to the other and use it as a probe so you can test various points on the wiring, start with a known 12v so you know its working. Then start testing various wires on the loom to do with the indicator circuit. Colours may vary on different models so don't take everything i say as correct
Test here first.
You should have 12v to the indicator relay at all times on the black wire which you probably have since the rear indicators work
The Grey wire is your front indicator 12v supply out of the relay and should have 12v on it even with the indicator switch off
The Grey/White wire is your rear indicator 12v supply out of the relay and should have 12v on it even with the indicator switch off
When you connect the test lamp to the Gr or Gr/W wire you might find it starts flashing that's ok as you will be loading the relay

Reactions: Johnnyboxer

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would use a test lamp rather than a multi meter as they can give you misleading readings if your not familiar with them. Your indicator will work fine as one. See if you can connect the one wire to a good ground on the bike, connect a short length of wire to the other and use it as a probe so you can test various points on the wiring, start with a known 12v so you know its working. Then start testing various wires on the loom to do with the indicator circuit. Colours may vary on different models so don't take everything i say as correct
Test here first.
You should have 12v to the indicator relay at all times on the black wire which you probably have since the rear indicators work
The Grey wire is your front indicator 12v supply out of the relay and should have 12v on it even with the indicator switch off
The Grey/White wire is your rear indicator 12v supply out of the relay and should have 12v on it even with the indicator switch off
When you connect the test lamp to the Gr or Gr/W wire you might find it starts flashing that's ok as you will be loading the relay
Many thanks great advice
I will follow that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts