Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all i recently restored my xr 400 not including the engine what i thought was fine, made a lovely job of the bike. Took it out yesterday and everything seemed fine until when i statred it back up there was some smoke coming from the pipe then after it warmed up it was back to normal with plenty of power. i have checked the oil today and its very low considering i only put new oil in yesterday. I have done some research and everything is pointing at valve stem seals:mad:. So i have the manual and have roughly read about changing them but was just wondering if any of you members have any tips or easy ways of doing these? any help would be greatley appreciated as i am new to engine work but have a good mechanical knowhow. thanks Adam

·
Registered
237 Posts
just follow the manual mate.a lot of valve spring compressors made for cars wont fit,something to be aware of before you fork out for one.would advise lapping valves in before rebuild.depends on age and all that but its deffo worthwhile in my book.

good way to check if oil consumption is seals or rings is to roll down a hill on the overrun then pull the clutch in and rev it.if it smokes its valve stem seals.worn rings tend to pump out visible smoke at high revs.my xr started to use oil at eighteen months old.a more fussed over bike you wouldn't meet.always warmed up gently before being revved,oil and filters changed religiously,and never hammered.yet,oil stem seals went.seems to be an xr thing,at least the air-cooled ones.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
hello all i recently restored my xr 400 not including the engine what i thought was fine, made a lovely job of the bike. Took it out yesterday and everything seemed fine until when i statred it back up there was some smoke coming from the pipe then after it warmed up it was back to normal with plenty of power. i have checked the oil today and its very low considering i only put new oil in yesterday. I have done some research and everything is pointing at valve stem seals:mad:. So i have the manual and have roughly read about changing them but was just wondering if any of you members have any tips or easy ways of doing these? any help would be greatley appreciated as i am new to engine work but have a good mechanical knowhow. thanks Adam
Valve compressors for cars do work in my experience i know mine worked fine. Before doing them you need to be sure it's the seals and not the guides which are worn. I had a new set of guides pressed in on mine to be sure then the toolmaker cut the guides and the valves perfect. It would be silly to only do the seals put it all back together then find you still have the same problem for the price of a few guides.

I loved my XR to bits but i wouldn't want another one, they are not at all bullet proof like the reputation states, everybody i know who's had one has had nothing but maintaince isues and rebuilds on them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks lads i think its the seals to be fair, but i have topped the oil up today and been out on it today and seems fine if i let it warm up gently. i will keep yous informed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts