Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having refurbished my rear brake callipers on my 1996 XR250R, I though the front callipers would be the same ..... BUT alas not.

I discovered phenolic pistons in the front callipers ? Am wondering if they’re worth re-using, as i’ve never come across phenolic pistons before and I was further surprised to see that on the outside face, they have plastic inserts that go under metal click on caps ?
The pistons look ok but the caps are marked & indented, but they do click in place ok ? I have searched and searched on line and have found various photo’s / articles on phenolic pistons but have found NO examples of the inserts & caps on the outer face ?

Am tempted to just ‘ditch’ and buy a good 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand calliper. OR, I see from the states I can get new Chinese aftermarket calliper for less than cost of 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand ones ? BUT are the Chinese aftermarket callipers any good ? (I only do simple “green lane” riding in the UK )

If anyone in UK has a set of good condition XR front callipers then please contact me.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I just refurbished the front caliper on my xr400 similar condition to yours didn't turn out too bad. The plastic pistons are genuine Honda parts
IMG_9468 (2).JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fred, yep looks great. Did you have the plastic pistons in the front caliper ?
I don't mind getting a caliper overhaul kit (I did for the rear) and then re-using the pistons, I am just worried about the condition of the metal caps that click over the outside face ?
I cannot find any 'parts breakdown drawing' or pics that show such items ....... ? I'm sort of thinking the inserts / caps are completely non standard made and fitted by someone in the past ? :(

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Yes they are plastic same as yours, I rebuilt it with genuine parts the pistons came with the metal caps fitted and wasn't removable at least i didn't try to remove them. After cleaning the caliper i pushed the old pistons back in without the seals so i could spray the caliper. I blew the pistons back out with the air line once finished but make sure your fingers :( or anything you don't want to kill isn't in the line of fire they come out at a hell of a velocity :D

IMG_9467.JPG

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Just took the cap off the old piston and its the same as yours, the plastic inserts as you call them are insulators to stop the heat generated when braking transferring to the plastic pistons and melting them so you need those there

IMG_0044.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts