Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Not sure whether I have a problem of not!!

I just started to notice that my bike clunks when I drop it into 1st gear, I honestly can't remember if it's always been like it but just noticed last night! I only had the bike since the beginning of the year and haven't spent that much time on it.

I have recently changed the oil and filter, using Castrol Racing 10w/30 and a new filter. I have ridden it since then but only just noticed this!

Do I need a slight adjustment or is it worse?

Cheers!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
first check the chain adjustment, if its loose then the usual clunk gets exagerated as the sprocket takes up the slack. generally however all chain driven bikes clunk into first gear. some a little some a lot. i wouldn't worry too much. if it jumps forward then adjust the clutch as you may have too much clutch slack on the lever

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I might add the it will clunk if the chain is to tight also , more so in fact .:cool:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I thought 10W40 would be a better choice in these motors (depending on your ambient temperatures). They do get pretty hot. A thin oil can make everything sound a bit rough but, like many Hondas of the era, they often go into 1st with quite a heavy "clack". It's worse if the clutch adjustment isn't quite correct or the clutch plates aren't quite pristine and there is a bit of drag.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I think just about every XR i've ever ridden "clunks" into first gear. I always used "Rock motorcycle oil" or "Rock guardian" oil in mine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts