Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently stripping the bike and am looking at a few new parts, some of which people here are tempting me with, but as it's being stripped down its a worth while venture. Including powder coating the rusting frame and other bits and pieces.

This brings me on to ask about exhausts. I noticed the standard one I have is corroded and requires renewal soon enough. I aim to ride the bike 95% on byways, so don't want to ride with an illegal loud exhaust, nor to annoy others around including my local village. On the same token a nicer throater note, maybe a stainless steel option would be nice. I would rather not have to setup the carb as it's only just been done by the previous owner who stripped and rebuilt it. I am not out to raise BHP or dint the Honda reliability, so if standard is a better bet then so be it.

What advice would you suggest, have heard about standard minus baffles, FMF, DEP etc.

Thank you.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I am currently stripping the bike and am looking at a few new parts, some of which people here are tempting me with, but as it's being stripped down its a worth while venture. Including powder coating the rusting frame and other bits and pieces.

This brings me on to ask about exhausts. I noticed the standard one I have is corroded and requires renewal soon enough. I aim to ride the bike 95% on byways, so don't want to ride with an illegal loud exhaust, nor to annoy others around including my local village. On the same token a nicer throater note, maybe a stainless steel option would be nice. I would rather not have to setup the carb as it's only just been done by the previous owner who stripped and rebuilt it. I am not out to raise BHP or dint the Honda reliability, so if standard is a better bet then so be it.

What advice would you suggest, have heard about standard minus baffles, FMF, DEP etc.

Thank you.
Worrying about bhp on one of these things is pointless mine with all sorts of goodies and an extra 40cc only made around 34bhp on the dyno, torque was huge but these bikes are not designed for power. I had a Alloy DEP system on mine for a while took it off and sold it to someone on here put the original back on. The DEP was lighter but the genuine Honda pipe is so much better quality and finish but a bit heavier.
There are several make available on the market but you aren't going to gain much just by changing an exhaust probably only the noise note as for jetting as standard they recommend 162. Mines standard and is running 145 as it got rid of the flat spots and leaned out the fueling issues

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, not interested in BHP, reliabaility is key, all part of enjoyment and fun in an essence. I did a brief search and read somewhere about your thoughts on costs to gain extra BHP for the sake of pub talk, highly agree with you. :thumbup:

May stick to standard exhaust and perhaps apply high heat paint to the exhuast pipe to protect it?

Read for the FMF the following about jetting:

Jetting Results

• Main Jet

• Pilot Jet

• Needle
  • A116A

• Needle Position
  • 3RD

• Power Jet
  • N/A

• Air Screw
  • N/A

• Fuel Screw
  • STOCK

• Comments
  • Remove airbox lid snorkel

Thanks for the input.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Thank you, not interested in BHP, reliabaility is key, all part of enjoyment and fun in an essence. I did a brief search and read somewhere about your thoughts on costs to gain extra BHP for the sake of pub talk, highly agree with you. :thumbup:

May stick to standard exhaust and perhaps apply high heat paint to the exhuast pipe to protect it?

Read for the FMF the following about jetting:

Jetting Results

• Main Jet
  • Pilot Jet
  • Needle
  • A116A
  • Needle Position
  • 3RD
  • Power Jet
  • N/A
  • Air Screw
  • N/A
  • Fuel Screw
  • STOCK
  • Comments
  • Remove airbox lid snorkel
Thanks for the input.

all those setting are standard settings for jetting so no adjustment required.

My Gasgas has FMF Fatty and power core 2 and that still runs factory settings

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, When I read fuel screw stock I assumed all other items had to change from standard or they would have stated stock?

I had been offered a gas gas ec250 before but after a ride realised it was a bit much for my byway/enduro needs. Great to race on and brilliant handling.

Would it be safe to say FMF are market leaders for exhausts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Cosy,
I have an FMF on my 03 XR4 and a K&N filter with snorkel removed, together they make it rev better and more tourqe. However it is q. loud. Was running it on stock exhaust with baffle removed which was ok but now noticably better. I have used the larger main jet that came with new bikes. ( sorry dont know size till I next remove carb. ) It sounds great but I go easy on throttle till away from houses !

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
The stock downpipes are stainless steel, albeit not a particularly good grade of stainless. But if kept in good condition they do polish up nicely. I still have the OEM ones on my '97 XR400, together with the standard silencer body with a stainlees steel insert from the USA.

The needle that you mention should be an A16A, which is a part from HRC, the Racing branch of Honda, & readily available from Fowlers of Bristol. The spec for my setup utilising a K&N air filter is in the spec sheet on these pages above. The early XR4s had a big hiccup/bog just off the transition from tickover, & would really catch you out ifcoming out of a slow corner. I found out that 40' ground off the bottom of the slide brought the spec for the carb up to the 2002 model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts