Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reposted, as originally managed to post in tech spec???

Yesterday I replaced the clutch on my '03 XR400R. Nothing more than a 30 minute job I guessed.

After wrestling the cable from the lever I quickly had clutch cover and clutch removed.

Afetr fitting new clutch I then offered the cover back upand ensured that the lever within the cover was correctly lined up to pick up the Clutch lifter pin.

When all back in place there is no resistance on the lever and feels as though it is not picking up the pin and therefore for not engaging the clutch.

I have now taken it off and put it back on several times, but still am having no luck.

Can anyone advise me where I am going wrong?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
If the lever is having no effect, either the actuator isn't working or it isn't pushing on anything. Usual stuff to check would be that the thrust bearing hasn't fallen out and that the assembly is correctly bolted together. If you don't line up the pressure plate, it can snag on the splines (maybe not on an XR - don't know I'm afraid) which holds the clutch in a disengaged position.

There are lots of people who know XR's inside out around here but it will be easier to diagnose if you could take a couple of pictures of the clutch pack and the inside of the casing and post them on something like Photobucket so they can have a look at what's going on.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dixie have you found out yet if the push rod is meant to have the movement on it that we had last night, also i asked one of the fitters at work and he said to check the springs again to see what the torque should be otherwise you will be working against the springs (if that makes sense) I know last night we couldnt find a torque value in the manual but Im certain that there is one. will have a hunt around to see what i can find out aswell.

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Your clutch cable might have too much play. The clutch arm on the crankcase has a lot of free play if no cable is connected (at least on XR650 that's the case). The arm can be moved by hand for about 2/3 of it's run, after that you need to either be very strong or use a small lever to move it the rest of the way.

Just try and adjust the clutch to the point where with the lever free, the clutch arm on the crankcase can no longer be moved by hand. Now try to engage the lever - if you can't then it's likely the problem is with the clutch assembly itself. Otherwise the problem was simply too much free play.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dont think its his clutch cable (I dropped in on Dixie last night when he said he had done his clutch) the actuator arm seems to be at its limit of travel ie if it turns round anymore then it will foul itself against the push rod on the inside of the clutch, also the small spring that returns the actuator arm would be streched beyond its requirments if you tried to turn the actuator arm any more.
I,m abit stumped as I couldnt see anything out of place as to why the arm would be so loose ie free to move over such a large arc maybe i cant see the wood for the tree,s but I know its something really simple just cant fathom it out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
2 possibilities, one is that maybe the clutch pressure plate has not located onto the splines of the basket correctly, the other is how many plates have you fitted (there should be 6 steel plates and 7 friction plates). Plus the 5 bolts that retain the pressure plate, you should be able to start these off without the need to press on the spring first (if you did need to press on the spring first, then something is wrong). A 3rd possibility is that when the lifting pin fell out of the bearing (as they do) did you put it back the correct way around.

·
Registered
318 Posts
just to let everyone know thecltch mystery is sorted, simple fix BLOODY cable needed to be adjusted thats all, pulling our hair out we were, like I said just couldnt see the ood for the trees. cheers for the help though guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts