Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

could some kind soul with a XR400 measure the length of the stem on their dipstick for me?

I have one of those that reads the temperature on my XR650L and I cannot get a clear reading on it, I wondered if one from a 400 will fit?

cheers, Bob.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Hi,

could some kind soul with a XR400 measure the length of the stem on their dipstick for me?

I have one of those that reads the temperature on my XR650L and I cannot get a clear reading on it, I wondered if one from a 400 will fit?

cheers, Bob.
Measuring from where the metal blade disappears into the plastic 101mm to the upper hole and 191mm to the end of the dipstick.. 2002 XR400

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I know what you mean Bob i always use the standard dipstick to check the oil and then put the temp one back in
are you sure the XR400 is the same as the xr650 i have measured the dominator dipstick alongside the XR one the dominator one will screw into the XR400 frame but as you can see in the photo its alot shorter than the XR one yet they take the same amount of oil

·
Administrator
1,776 Posts
I read in an old book that if you blacken the dipstick with soot from a (candle) flame it's a lot easier to see the oil level!

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Measuring from where the metal blade disappears into the plastic 101mm to the upper hole and 191mm to the end of the dipstick.. 2002 XR400
Thank you Gordon :thumb: see you at the national.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean Bob i always use the standard dipstick to check the oil and then put the temp one back in
are you sure the XR400 is the same as the xr650 i have measured the dominator dipstick alongside the XR one the dominator one will screw into the XR400 frame but as you can see in the photo its alot shorter than the XR one yet they take the same amount of oil

I wanted to see if the length of the 400 one is the same as the 650 as a 400 one will be a lot easier to find.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Eventually Bob, It will be the first thing i'll rebuild when the garage is finished there's not much wrong with it needs a re-bore and camchain Its still running I just didn't want to use it until it destroyed itself making more work for me
I got a new sleeve and an OEM standard piston ready to go into the spare cylinder i've got. Apart from a few bits I've got a complete XR as spares may rebuild that as well although it will be a battered one if i do

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Ha I checked my oil on the XT yesterday bob and have a thermometer type and nearly burnt my fingers off:D Jeez I suppose the clue was the fact the oil was at 120 deg !!! But I always dip it with the original stick as the metal one has no markings
Fred cant rebuild his XR yet mind... he hasn't built steps up to his shed:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts