Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
The front and rear brakes on the XR seem to be crap compared to the standard brakes on my Yamaha TTR250 i sold it for. Any one know of a good cheap option to upgrade the XR's hoofs

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Mine are really sharp and other than the dramatic dive in the forks I'm not sure if I could improve them!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure what pads are in mine, it wouldnt surprise me if they were made from wood. I suppose i should try a brake pad upgrade first.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

As stated previously, if you have dodgey brakes, renew your brake fluid.
This should be done regularly, but a lot of poeple can't be bothered. Fresh fluid makes a real difference if yours is a few years old.

If you are changing pads, and there is obviously no contamination on your existing pads or disc, then try upgrading to HH pads. These make a good improvement to stopping power over standard grade pads. I wouldn't use them on the rear though. (lock up to easily).

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
The front and rear brakes on the XR seem to be crap compared to the standard brakes on my Yamaha TTR250 i sold it for. Any one know of a good cheap option to upgrade the XR's hoofs

i got to say my front brake is razor sharp, always use genuine honda pads if its got the standard disc on it. Aftermarket pads can sometimes be as much use as two blocks of wood attached to a disc. I found this out using ebc's pads on my varadero they must have been the compound for the blackbird pad, far too hard compound

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious...what about a set of braided hoses?

I'm considering this, myself, only I am thinking how I can re-create the more rigid central portion of the brake line that runs parallel to the fork stanchion.

Aside from that little puzzle, I'd say that was an easy way to go: often done it and with good results...

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I have a set of earl's braided lines on my xr bought them at the london show about 2-3 years ago, for £45. They don't make the brakes any stronger they just provide more feel through the lever and because the capillary hose doesn't expand you don't have to pull the lever as far to get brake because they are more efficient. They took about 2hrs to fit and bleed and certainly are worth the money.

Don't worry about what brand go for the cheapest as Earl's, Hel and Goodridge are all supplied from the same place in exeter and all use the same components. Its a fashion thing going for the name.

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have a set of earl's braided lines on my xr bought them at the london show about 2-3 years ago,

How do you get around the stiffer, sleeved section that runs up the side of the fork? Does the hose not flex in the middle and rub the fork, or worse the stanchion gaiter?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
How do you get around the stiffer, sleeved section that runs up the side of the fork? Does the hose not flex in the middle and rub the fork, or worse the stanchion gaiter?
Everthing with braided lines is the same as the rubber lines they still flex just as easily as rubber lines, it's only the inner capillery that doesn't expand. They use the same route as normal lines hope these photo's help.
(the red hose is the brake line, black is speed sensor)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Thanks for the photos.
They explain all.
I see that there is still a stiffer middle section clamped at the bottom of the fork area and that "hose flex" with fork movement is, therefore, still at the top. That was the bit I was confused about.

Also, is that the Trail-tech Vapor with dash surround?

I have bought both, but not fitted them yet. Easy to fit? (sorry, just askin': don't want to hijack the thread!!)

;)

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Thanks for the photos.
They explain all.
I see that there is still a stiffer middle section clamped at the bottom of the fork area and that "hose flex" with fork movement is, therefore, still at the top. That was the bit I was confused about.

Also, is that the Trail-tech Vapor with dash surround?

I have bought both, but not fitted them yet. Easy to fit? (sorry, just askin': don't want to hijack the thread!!)

;)
That is a trail tech vapour with dashboard. It was realy easy to fit everything is just plug in connectors. I used a thick aluminium plate to mount it on and used the original clock mounting holes so it is mounted quite rigidly, it is also height adjustable. The only problem i've had with it i've reported to trail tech and they are aware of and are looking for a solution ( i put this up on another thread a while ago) is that the ambient temperature sensor reads 5-10degrees high. Trail tech say the reason is that because it is a sealed unit the heat coming of the LED's throw the sensors reading out. But it's not really an issue.

it does have a lot of screens and thing that i just don't or ever will use but the display is top quality and really clear by night

1 - 13 of 13 Posts