Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hi SuperNintendo Chalmers
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everybody,

i currenlt have a 125 baby dero, which i am looking to change, was looking at either Transalp or Africa twin, but only have 1800 to spend, the less the better really, i am toying with the idea of either
Xr400 or Drz400, i commute 30 miles a day into Manchester city center all weathers, and have secure parking at both ends.

what are the pros and cons of the Xr400 & Drz400, use for commuting, i am aware of the uncomfoartable seats, i will aslo use them for weekend playing on green lanes, but it is more of a tool to get me cheaply to work...

errr just realised this is posted in the wrong section

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Had both Ive had an XR400 for 2 years now and bought a DRZs to replace it but couldnt bring myself to get rid of the XR. A lot of people will go on about the XR being lighter but it wasnt so much differance, I would go so far to say the DRZ felt better as it was a more modern design.
The seat on both are far from great the DRZ is worse but for a commute they are both fine I did a 100 mile run on the DRZ and it wasnt so bad.
The XR is simples robust.... and kick start, geared for off road it pulls like a Massey Ferguson. Gear it for road and its slower than a DRZ by 5-10 mph for comfortable cruising.... but it will still do off road.
The DRZ on standard gearing doesnt feel so good off road, but I have since realised its the characteristics of DOHC to SOHC at low speed that made it feel stuttery compared to the XR, but a DRZ off road needs a couple of teeth extra at the rear for better off road ability.
On road a DRZ is just fine and mucho fun the engine is a blast and has electric start!!
The main problems with the DRZ is a few bits need checking and the cost of this to make it a better bike can mount up. It needs engine covers as there is thin metal that breaks on a fall, suspension is soft, stainless washer required behind front sprocket, or good checks on original as they have been commonly known to leak oil. Jetting needs doin to pep it up with 3x3 mod
Choice of the 2.. I rekon it would be DRZ

·
Registered
56 Posts
I recently had this dilema and after riding both and making some investigations found that the DRZ was just that tad more road orientated than the XR. Also like the XR build quality and fancied a Honda (personal preference). The DRZ was better for going to work, then a bit of off road fun. The DRZ had useable everyday dials. (Nice to have the DRZ electric start though).

If used for a lot of road and off road a DRZ, if mostly off road the XR in my opinion.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi Everybody,

i currenlt have a 125 baby dero, which i am looking to change, was looking at either Transalp or Africa twin, but only have 1800 to spend, the less the better really, i am toying with the idea of either
Xr400 or Drz400, i commute 30 miles a day into Manchester city center all weathers, and have secure parking at both ends.

what are the pros and cons of the Xr400 & Drz400, use for commuting, i am aware of the uncomfoartable seats, i will aslo use them for weekend playing on green lanes, but it is more of a tool to get me cheaply to work...

errr just realised this is posted in the wrong section

DRZ is a Dual purpose bike thats what it was designed to be, the XR was designed as an enduro bike of the time which, now was 20 years ago so does feel a bit agricultural.
If your doing road work the DRZ will be the better bike but a bit more inferior offroad. My mate had a DRZ it trail rode ok, he entered it in an enduro and then siad never again on that bike absolutly no use what so ever down here way to big, heavy and lardy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts