Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i've just bought a 97 xr400, its been geared down, anyone know what the standared size sprockets are? it will only do about 55 happily!:p

·
Registered
12 Posts
It depends on the country of origin. The UK bikes are, as Phil W says, 15/45 (=3.00:1).

However, the last couple of XR400's I bought (brand new and from a UK dealer) were, I believe, Australian spec, which came complete with winkers and swingarm-mounted chain guard. These were both 15 front/40 rear (=2.666:1). This gave extra legs for on-road riding (comfortable 70 mph) but I found it was too tall for off-road.

Don't think the chain would have been long enough to fit a 45 rear sprocket, so I ran a 14 front/40 rear (= 2.857:1) and occasionally a 13 front/40 rear (=3.077:1) for real snotty stuff off-road.

With supermoto wheels fitted, I ran 15 front/38 rear (=2.533:1) but the 17" rear tyre would of course have a smaller rolling diameter, effectively lowering the overall gearing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply, had a look at mine and its 14/50 hence the 50mph!!
just ordered and pair of sprockets 15/43, hoping that should give me about 65mph ish but still usefull off road. at the moment you dont need first and your in 5th by 20mph!!! :D

·
Snotty lane fan!
160 Posts
I had the same 'problem'

I now run a 43 rear and change from a 15 (road)to a 13 (off-road) on the front. This is fine with standard rims and will cruise (not easy on an XR400!) at 65 with maddening bursts of 75 mph on the 15 tooth front. The 13 will give a reasonable walking pace without using the clutch and will be 60mph flat out.

Did it after reading this;

http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/trail_tips/tip_6speed.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chears for that, i've ordered 15 front and 43 rear and i was hoping that would give about 65mph, its handy to hear that you've tryed that combo.
many thanks, Rob :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks for the reply, had a look at mine and its 14/50 hence the 50mph!!
just ordered and pair of sprockets 15/43, hoping that should give me about 65mph ish but still usefull off road. at the moment you dont need first and your in 5th by 20mph!!! :D
Hi Rob,
If you had a 50-tooth rear (huge :D) your chain must be extra-long, so if you've bought a 43 rear you're probably going to need either a new chain or a chain-breaker to remove a couple of links if re-using your existing one.
Cheers, Dave.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts