Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just bought a 98 xr400 which has been used off road for the past year and i intend to put the bike on the road, the previous owner removed the front and rear light and the wires were snipped. would this bike originally have had brake lights and a horn (the bike has been registered i have the v5 document) if there were brake lights were they on the front and the rear brakes.i would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes XR 400 would have had dual filament rear light and glass headlamp with 35/35w Bosch fitting bulb. Horn was mounted lh front frame and brake light was operated by switches on front and rear brakes.
You should find connectors leading to the rear lights on top of the airbox under the seat and this is where they have probably disconnected the lights unless they have been snipped further back.. On the original rear light set up there would have been a black plastic no. plate board with illumination for the no. plate. Most people cut this down.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
I have a Canadian model XR400 that only came with the enduro head & tail lights, no horn or brake lights & only a trip meter. The bulb holder for the rear had the internal connection for the double filament bulb but no wiring.
Try XR Stuff or Enduro / Motocross XC Lighting Kits
A manual like that from Haynes or the more comprehensive one from Clymer would be of benefit as well.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
i have just bought a 98 xr400 which has been used off road for the past year and i intend to put the bike on the road, the previous owner removed the front and rear light and the wires were snipped. would this bike originally have had brake lights and a horn (the bike has been registered i have the v5 document) if there were brake lights were they on the front and the rear brakes.i would appreciate any help.

Rear brake light is moulded into the rear mudguard, front light would be dual filament with a side light bulb the bike would have had a horn. Not sure about last question but there would have been a light switch on both the front lever/ master cylinder and the rear brake pedal.

My xr is a 99 CAnadian bike and that has everything fitted as standard

·
Turgid member
171 Posts
My '97 250 is an ex-Army bike and came with full road kit - Front light with dip/main beam, indicators, horn, front and rear brake light switches and full speedo with main beam indicator on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts