Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2004 XR400, the model without a battery (are they all like this?) bought in the UK. I want the facility to charge a mobile phone or sat-nav whilst riding. The alternator appears to produce an unrectified but regulated output of around 12v AC for the lights. Is there a means to rectify this electric output to a DC supply such that it could charge a mobile from an auxiliary socket?

Grateful for any thoughts from anyone who might have addressed this problem - I want to use the bike for touring Europe next summer.

Sigean

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi there.
I have the same issue. I put a usb charge socket on the handlebars and wired it into the horn power supply. However it was not very successful, despite putting out 12v constantly it failed to charge my phone through the cheap socket. It may be the socket that was at fault but the wiring was very simple. You can get a more powerful stator and mount a battery under the left side panel. I believe the Honda XL250 battery tray can be modified to fit. The other option is to invest in some good battery banks and charge them up on campsites or in hotels. That was what I did and managed to power my phone constantly as well as a lap top for doing my blog.
Good luck. Ben

·
Registered
68 Posts
You will not get a stable 12v supply off the bike I use one of the 12v starter packs on my xr and montesa to run the satnav phone an so on the more you pays the better and bigger the jumper but this one is cheap an works will charge a phone from flat and started my transit van with it one time as well this way might get you out of this pickle the cheap way

IN UK✔ 12V 20000mAh Car Jump Starter Pack Booster Charger Battery Power Bank FSS | eBay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there.
I have the same issue. I put a usb charge socket on the handlebars and wired it into the horn power supply. However it was not very successful, despite putting out 12v constantly it failed to charge my phone through the cheap socket. It may be the socket that was at fault but the wiring was very simple. You can get a more powerful stator and mount a battery under the left side panel. I believe the Honda XL250 battery tray can be modified to fit. The other option is to invest in some good battery banks and charge them up on campsites or in hotels. That was what I did and managed to power my phone constantly as well as a lap top for doing my blog.
Good luck. Ben
I understand and thanks for the comments. The output from the system is a stabilised AC, hence half the power signal is negative and not charging the device, in fact quite the reverse. I was wondering if there was a proprietary rectifier one might add to the charge circuit to (literally) rectify this situation and provide a DC outputwhich could charge devices as required. I might have to make something I guess.... I don't think a more powerful stator is necessary as the power requirement for a mobile phone is pretty low, but it's good to know that it's an option.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
On the XR400 only the headlight is AC the tail light, speedo lights and indicators (if fitted) are DC don't know if it is stable enough to charge a phone but there's certainly enough output there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for this and very interesting. Not entirely sure why Honda would devise such a system, and I would have thought that the electrical supply to the lighting circuit, controlled by a single switch, would be of the same quality. But the bike's electric circuit diagram I have is of poor quality and difficult to follow, so I might have missed something. Time to dust off the old oscilloscope, I think!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yes it is a weird set up the light switch on the handlebars has two contacts one for the headlight and one for the taillight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't know that! Many thanks. By the way, I discussed the DC charging issue with a good friend (and electrical expert) who suggests the the DC output for the lights should work well for mobile phone charging. I intent to try this in the near future.

Kind regards

Sigean

·
Registered
18 Posts
My mate's had his satnav connected to his XR's dc circuit for a few years now, no problems. Can't imagine that a phone charger would be an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks and after some thought this is the solution to which I have been inexorably drawn! Once I get back to the UK - in southern France right now nursing a broken ankle - I will buy the appropriate socket and try this out.....

Kind regards,

Sigean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts