Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guy coming round to show me his Honda XL500R he has for sale.
The engine has 50000 miles on the clock , is there anything I should look out for with this bike apart from the dodgy front mudguard?

127935318_906_1024_0_0_0_0_8.jpg

Anyone aware of any weaknesses with this bike:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
is the mileage a lot on a hard working 500 single cylinder engine ? has it ever had any engine work done ? it looks well to me I like the idea of xl 500/600 it carry's a patina of age ( sales spiel for rusty heap of shite ) :toothy9: you could extend the front guard even more to keep even more rain off your boots and trousers . I take it its kick start only grand when its going ok but if it gets hard to start be prepared to sweat a lot also the drum breaks wont be very strong . a lovely old bike for a bit of weekend fun but as daily transport it might not be so easy to get parts for new or used but still if you get it cheap enough be grand thing to have .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you could extend the front guard even more to keep even more rain off your boots and trousers
I stopped riding in the rain a while back as I dont like water.
I reckon 50 thou is a high mileage for a single and the only reason I want to look at it is so I can see if they are easy to start.
The last single I had kicked me back one day and I sold it the same week coz it hurt like a xxxx but I do love big singles.(bikes not women):D
He wants 1100 squids for it but I plan to offer half that then I can go to Germany and get one with lower mileage and better patina.
I got a call from germany from a guy selling this one with 35000km (20k) but I cant get down until next weekend when he is off on holiday.

$_57 (2).jpg

I like this one but not the colour so I will just have to keep looking.:thumbup:
It totally sucks having to walk everywhere:D:D:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have you considered the Dominator? I hadn't until I test rode the one I now own. They are cheap and go on forever, have electric start, indicators and off road ability. Mine is 17 years old and has less than 13000miles on it, I picked it up for £1500. Plenty of them on eBay and spares to boot. It is road friendly and I cannot praise it enough.
Whatever you decide good luck and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Have you considered the Dominator? I hadn't until I test rode the one I now own. They are cheap and go on forever, have electric start, indicators and off road ability. Mine is 17 years old and has less than 13000miles on it, I picked it up for £1500. Plenty of them on eBay and spares to boot. It is road friendly and I cannot praise it enough.
Whatever you decide good luck and enjoy your new ride.

he has one already ,the daft bastard has it in bits all over the shed . hes make a scramblear out of it LOL

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
,the daft bastard has it in bits all over the shed
Oh! , you mean this little old thing I have sitting in my living room.

11040757_1124789380870411_1105954936_n.jpg

Not exacctly all over the shed now is it paddy.

:bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Oh! , you mean this little old thing I have sitting in my living room.

View attachment 73441

Not exacctly all over the shed now is it paddy.

:bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake:

all right all right calm down calm down I was only having a laugh with you mate . :roll:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Camshafts wear the head away so listen out for any noises on the top end. Start from cold and watch for smoke, also give it a run to check the gearbox, known for wearing the dog gears and jumping out. Normally lower gears.
Drum brakes are fine if working well, just have to pull harder.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Camshafts wear the head away so listen out for any noises on the top end..
I just had a test ride on it and it was a right old dog ,every sound that shouldnt be heard from the top end was there.
I told him he needed to do something about it before it blew up on him but he didnt have a clue what I was on about, he owned the bike for 8 years and never did any maintenance to it.
I still want one so it looks like I will be off to germany next weekend to find one. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I know not a single but have you ever tried an ntv 650 for size the one like the revere 600 . they are bomb proof and real easy to live with keep the oil and filter changed and they will run for ever shaft drive and all the wheels don't rot like the transalp tubeless tyres so you can plug nail screw or thorn punctures on the fly . I will probably buy one again as my run about . a 500 single is fit for the knackers yard at 40000 miles an ntv 650 will easy do twice that . the couriers used to love them the cb 500 twin are another popular bike with the couriers tough as old boots and they run on the smell of petrol . would you not consider Yamaha xt 600 or Suzuki dr650 both good bikes or do you have Honda xl wrote trough your shit like a stick of rock ? :lol:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I took a look at the NTV650 and kind of like em ,I been thinking about a GPZ 500 coz they sell for little money.
I would be happy with the XT600 but I know nowt about the DR650.
The reason I want a XL500R is coz you can still find good ones in Germany and the XL600R also has the right look for me.
Some of the XL500Rs are restricted to 27bhp so it would be cheap to pay the import taxes here in happy old Denmark.
If I cant find anything soon ,I will just finish my dommie and ride that,
I just done all the BRAKE lines and the seals in the master cylinders so were almost ready to go.
The knobend who brought the Honda forgot to tell me about his kill switch and after 3 kicks I was knackered but when I sussed the kill switch out it was easy to start
Its hard to choose a bike when your getting close to 60 but I aint quite done yet....:D:D:D
I wont buy a bike in Denmark because prices are inflated due to the import tax and danes only sell their bikes when they are knackered.:clown::clown::clown:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
the dr 650 or 350 have a good name I would however give Kawasaki klr 650 a wide bert soft engines in them ,I wouldn't fancy any of the 400 425 or 500 Kawasaki twins either they are troublesome enough . the Suzuki gs 500 are tough little bikes but not as well finished as Hondas and winter riding takes its tole on the finish but they keep chuffing away . the Honda bros are grand bikes too or even the Honda cb400 super four or a shadow or stead 400 or 600 would work too if you could get one that's lost its shine for handy money . hears a bike I always liked I knew a few lads years ago who had the same bike sold it from one to the other and it never gave any of them a days bother a Suzuki L650 savage single cylinder they are good for 90 mph and very comfortable . I always taught they should have put the engine in a traditional style chassis something like they done with the vx 800 maybe . maybe something like Honda with the gb 500 only like a gold star knock off .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
maybe something like Honda with the gb 500 only like a gold star knock off .
My pub owning mate in Hannover has got a GB500 Clubman lying in his shed coz he dont know whats up with it and a circa 1972/73 Triumph T120 tiger , pre oil in the frame so I might go and see him ,get messed up and buy one of his bikes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
an xrb 500 are ment to be the job nicest single made tall gears a bit like a goldstar only one problem is they being so old not as many parts laying about for them but other than that spot on from what I gather .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
an xrb 500 are ment to be the job nicest single made tall gears a bit like a goldstar only one problem is they being so old not as many parts laying about for them but other than that spot on from what I gather .
Some eejits have been known to put dominator engines in them :D:D:D
Not that I would do summit like that.:clown::clown::clown:
Its hard work choosing a bike innit?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Some eejits have been known to put dominator engines in them :D:D:D
Not that I would do summit like that.:clown::clown::clown:
Its hard work choosing a bike innit?

its a head scratcher some times all right before I bought my Transalp it could have been either a BMW F650 funduro a k100rs a Triumph tiger 900 or a trident 900 or a choice of 2 transalp 600's and a few weeks after I bought the transalp I saw a Honda pacific coast 800 with very low miles in red . I was gutter I missed out on it at the time but the transalp has me pure charmed . I'm pretty sure my next bike will be a nice clean low mileage ntv 650 I know the transalp 600 is cooler but great deal to be had in ntv's . I might even go to Germany for one ? I have been eyeing them up on ebay.de mind you I really fancy a cb750 as well been a while since I had a 4 cylinder and they tick all the boxes for me .

I went to Wicklow to see a GIXER 1100 and it was a wreck it had the beast wrote on the bottom of the number plate it should have said the donkey . or this bike belongs to a donkey LOL . what a lying bastards I asked him all the usual questions and was told a pack of lies . at least with a MOT or TUV if you get a frest one the bike will at the very least be road worthy .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts