Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the help so far. Bought an XR600R unfinished project a month or so back. Had a "rebuilt" engine that the guy I bought it from bought. Had a few issues with one of the cam bearings not being fitted and the head not torqued down etc. Guy who sold the "reconditioned" motor must have been a bit of a numpty. :D (Not the guy I bought the bike from from mind - He was totally honest in his description etc and I still reckon I got a bargain.)

Anyway, finally got the bike started but wanted to make sure it was getting oil to top end. Loosened off oil pipe where it enters rocker cover. Nothing. Same at bottom end. Then took the oil filter cover off and it is bone dry in there.

Any ideas? Dodgy oil pump? I've heard they can need priming. Anything obvious I should look for before I take it to bits again. There is definitely oil in the engine.

Thanks in advance

Craig

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Might be worth checking the oil feed pipe at the front going to the oil tank, known for collapsing inside.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - Checked that at the bottom where it comes into the engine. Thin feed line (oil inlet hose from frame to engine) has oil pouring out when I loosen it. Fatter return one (oil outlet hose from engine to frame) is dry. Also checked the level of the crank case. (should be level with bottom of phole on right hand side cover when bike is level) Nothing there.

Think I will take RHS cover off without draining oil. That way I can see where the supply is getting to. I think :confused: or alternatively oil will pee out everywhere :D. Either way the cover is coming off. Any other suggestions welcome.. Aren't projects fun!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Best have the clutch cover off. Could it be something as simple as the builder leaving out the drive wheel? You'll have access to the pump then too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right - clutch cover's off. Heres a picture Craig Lewis's Photos | Facebook

Am I being a numpty or should there be oil about a fifth of the way up here? Oil strainer is totally dry. Dipstick in frame still measures full. When you put oil in for the first time what path does it take?

Will it come through the oil pump first or does it fill the casing first? ie is the main feed into the oil pump via the strainer or is it direct through the back of the pump?

Heres a close up picture around the oil pump

Craig Lewis's Photos | Facebook

Only thing that looks odd is a small rubber seal near the non return valve doesn't look right.:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know 'diddly squat' about the engine in your bike but i remember 'priming' the old V8 rover oil pumps with a 'filling' of grease when trying to get oil through the system again after a rebuild if you think thats what it is.

Can't you test the pump with the casing off?

ie:
put lift stand under bike and raise up
take spark plug out
loosen oil pipe at engine
select high gear
rotate rear wheel (and thus also the engine)

you should also be able to see how the cogs drive each other round and in which direction they 'work' and the loose pipe should produce oil if the pump has oil around the pick up (as i said..i have absolutely no idea how the engine is arranged so its all 'theory' to hopefully help you narrow it down a bit)

PS. only just bought my first xr, its a 2003 250cc so my knowledge of these engines is severely limited..i don't even have a workshop manual for it yet :lol:

good luck solving it:thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Scotsy - Had an XR250R for trailriding a few years back - great bikes!

Yep - starting to think it may just have been low on oil - might whip the oil pump off just to check clearances etc so I can be sure. I feel a long night in the garage coming on :eek:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Best have the pump to bits.
Oil from the frame tank goes directly to the pump so you've got to start there. It's possible it needs priming but as the oil goes there first I'd be suprised.
It'd worry me as you've found so many things wrong already. Strip it all down make sure all is well. You'll be gutted if something else goes wrong, more so while out on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found the problem - as soon as I took the oil pump out, nice clean oil came pouring out the inlet. That collar/oring in the picture in post from earlier was not right. Collar is too small and had jammed the non return valve in the oil pump shut. :thumb:

Will also prime the pump with petroleum jelly to make sure it doesn't battle.

·
Mr Impulsive
471 Posts
Jesus Craig
I'm sorry your having all this grief with the engine.
It annoys the hell out of me that the bloke I bought it off assured me it was 100%.If he had told me it needed looking at,I'd have stripped it down first,and wouldn't have paid him the amount the bloody thing cost.
hope the pump sorts it out,what with all the other issues with it.

Take care

Daz.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jesus Craig
I'm sorry your having all this grief with the engine.
It annoys the hell out of me that the bloke I bought it off assured me it was 100%.If he had told me it needed looking at,I'd have stripped it down first,and wouldn't have paid him the amount the bloody thing cost.
hope the pump sorts it out,what with all the other issues with it.

Take care

Daz.
No Problem Daz -you weren't to know - Luckily it hasn't run long without oil to top. Have ordered the o rings and bits for the pump now (ordered a new non return valve too just to be sure) Hopefully will get it back together in the next couple of weeks or so. (if my wife lets me disapear into the garage again:D)

I've actually learnt a lot through the whole experience. Never taken an oil pump apart before this but now have a great understanding of how the whole thing works.

Looking forward to riding the beast! Although still not 100% my feet will touch the ground. Jeez it's tall!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had a nightmare priming my pump after a total rebuild , even packing the pump full of petroleum jelly did'nt work(oil pump all well within tolerences).

Disconnect the small feed pipe from the downtube and fill a syringe will oil and kick the bike over slowly whilst pushing on the syringe and the oil will go directly to the pump

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The beast lives!! Thanks everyone for the input. Ade - used the syringe trick and it primed really easily. (bit of a messy job as I had already filled the frame with oil)

Getting a really good flow of oil to the top now and all sounds quiet. MOT next week so hopefully all will be fine!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts