Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  philippo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey chaps,
I've just obtained an XR650L oil pump (15100-MY6-670)
I understood this to be a worthwhile upgrade from the standard NX5650 oil pump
But it doesn't seem to fit.
Help!

Update:
It does fit following some minor mods outlined later on in this thread.

#3 ·
Thanks for the link Bounder.
I hadn't come across that site - looks interesting (thank Google for translate!)
Pity his Oelpumpen pages are missing though!

The problem is the XR650L oelpumpen is slightly narrower compared to the original RD08 unit, so some kind of spacer/tube will be needed to make it fit and work. Do you have any ideas?

#5 · (Edited)
Update.
The XR650L oil pump does indeed fit into the RD08 engine - with a couple of small tweaks:
1) A 3mm spacer/extension tube is needed to reach from the pump to the oil filter inlet.
2) 3mm needs to be ground off the body of the pump where the oil feed to the gearbox bolts on.

The pump has to be carefully primed prior to installation to eliminate trapped air. I cracked open the banjo bolt just after startup to confirm oil flow to the head. Check. After idling her for a few minutes the dipstick reading looked spot on. I checked the oil level 24 hours after the engine was last run and the oil level was unchanged on the dipstick. Phew!. Hopefully that's fixed the wet sumping problem.

So, to summarize:
1) The XR650L pump I fitted has twin 8mm rotors as opposed to the 12mm/8mm rotors of OE part.
2) The XR650L pump has oil seals on the shaft which the RD08 pump lacks.
3) The XR650L part has some minor dimensional differences which have to be addressed to make it fit into the RD08 engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.