Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..new to the site but have been looking on it for a while. I am going to Ireland this weekend to pick up (ride back) an 03 XR650L.
Can't wait as I have wanted one of these for years and have finally been in a position to have one. Its a US import with all the smog gear still fitted and from what the owner says its totally standard with no mods.
I intend to do the "Dave's Mod" on the carb, remove the smog gear and fit a new exhaust and larger plastic tank.
Anyone done these mods and is there anything I need to look out for or could anyone recommend any of the new parts.
Hoping the seat is fairly comfy as I am going to be doing 350 miles to get home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend had a 650R, mental on the dirt but not great for doing many miles on the road, and the kickstart was the killer for me. I just love the simplicity of the 650L, unchanged since I first saw on in 93, aircooled and elec start.
Thanks for the response, I was hoping too get bits from the UK but I suppose
thats not gonna happen.
Anyone have a preference between the plastic tank makers, IMF , Clarke Acerbis etc?
Can't wait for the trip back from Ireland.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
If you look at the TLD threads you may be able to hook up with some of our northern breathren and have some company on the way back if you're coming back to blighty on sunday or monday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a thought..I am booked on a ferry leaving Belfast to Stranraer on Monday. Prior to that I am riding up the West Coast from Kerry, want to see Dingle and lots more, hoping for good weather. I figured theres not enough space on a stock 650L for tent/sleeping bag etc so I think it will be pubs or YH.
Looking at racks last night so I can carry a bit more gear for my next trip. I live in Scotland so I usually go up the West Coast (Mull,Ardnamurchan,Skye etc)...love it.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Met a guy last year from Chamonix, although English, who had a 650L, the one thing he did was fit the kickstart from an XR600 straight fit apparently. I have had an Acerbis tank and now the clarke tank, the Acerbis is tough very big and UGLY:D The Clarke is very well made and looks almost OE. I have heard a few bad stories on the IMS splitting. I had my Clarke direct from US and saved a wedge on the same tank being sold by the likes of XR Stuff. To me the only need for the Acerbis is if your going to Mongolia and petrol stops are rare. The Clarke has given me 220 kms and still hasnt hit reseve!!More than enough for UK/Europe
The are always threads to read on the 650L on the HUBB
The HUBB
and here is good if you havent already found it
XR600/650 - ThumperTalk

The 650L is a bit of a legend it seems over in US and Advrider covers it a lot also, I have only ever seen a couple for sale here and they are normally overpriced.. pity:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Phil..ThumperTalk is a great site for 650l's as it American based so plenty of threads.
Will look at the kickstart thing when I get it.

I was looking at setting up an import company bringing in mainly 650ls but also all XR's and XL's and shed loads of spares but the exchange rate is now very unfavourable to do it. When it goes near to 1.9 I may look into it again.
I think from what you say the Clarke is the one to get which is what I was thinking anyway. Only which one the 4gal or the 4.7gal?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts