Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am trying to remove my lower link from my XR650R. I need to know if the bolt that goes through the frame threads inside the frame and needs to be undone. Or am I just supposed to just push out once the nut is removed. The manual is no help.

Thanks David

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
It should just push out with finger pressure if it has been regularly serviced and re-greased. In practice, the bolt corrodes into the sleeve and can be a nightmare to shift sometimes needing drastic action.

Try spraying lots of penetrating spray (Plus Gas/GT85 etc) on the end of the bolt that you can see coming out of the frame and between the frame and the linkage surfaces and leave it overnight. Bung an old nut on the end and see if you can lever it out using a bar of some sort and the frame to lever against. You could try tapping it out if you've got a straight line of sight from the right but I think the frame is in the way isn't it? If that doesn't work, the fun begins.

Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AlanH thought that was going to be the case,. I am soaking it up now. Luckily removing the rear brack lever bolt the hole is inline with the seized bolt, so hopefully i can use a drift on it.

Regards David

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
If there is enough room to put the nut onto the end of the bolt, put a socket in there and use an old extension bar as a drift, that's worked for me in the past - admittedly not on an XR650 so it may not line up well enough.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
If you use two bolts threaded into one nut at equal amounts, you can place this between the frame & the end of the suspension bolt. Then, just undo the bolt from the nut & it will push against the stuck bolt a small amount at a time. Then, when the bolts are almost unscrewed from the nut, insert some spacers & keep on as before. I've used this trick several times now, with bolts in difficult places, & it works a treat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts