Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a 1988 AT (XRV 650 03) or a 1990 XRV 750 (04). Both are similarly priced and in good nick. They are both in HRC colours. What are the relative merits of each and dare I say... which should I go for?? I am new to ATs

Cheers,

David

·
2,701 Posts
I have a rd04 and have ridden a nice rd03.
Given the choice of similar condition and price, my choice would be rd03.

ps
welcome to the site.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the chance to buy a 1988 AT (XRV 650 03) or a 1990 XRV 750 (04). Both are similarly priced and in good nick. They are both in HRC colours. What are the relative merits of each and dare I say... which should I go for?? I am new to ATs

Cheers,

David
Perhaps the absolute numbers are in favor of 750 but the "setup", the quality, the "handling" is in favor of 650.

XRV650 of course...

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I have both, so feel relatively qualified to answer.

If it was me, it would all come down to overall condition of each bike, even though I am really keen on the RD03. I'm a purist, so I would be looking at originality and how well the thing has been cared for.

It's worth bearing in mind that each bike is quite old now, and rarity can affect the price of spares, particularly bodywork, so I would looking at the cosmetics of each machine carefully.

Both are brilliant bikes and very reliable if cared for properly. Buy wisely and you'll never lose money or value.

I'm sure you know that the RD03 was never an official UK bike, so any over here are imports. It's not really a problem, but picky MOT examiners could pick up things like headlamps that dip in the wrong direction etc.

The usual things to be particularly vigilant with when buying any Africa Twin are;

Gearbox output shaft condition. There's plenty of threads on the forum about it, but walk away from any bike which has a worn shaft or welded sprocket unless you are getting it for a very good price and can fix it yourself or live with it.

Wheel corrosion. AT's that have lived in the UK are particularly prone to this, what with rain and road salt. A wheel rebuild with new rims and spokes is expensive.

The RD03 and RD04 do ride very similarly, and the weight is almost the same. The 03 does feel a bit lighter and the engine seems sweeter, smoother and revvier. Depending on what bikes you've ridden before, don't expect an AT to break any land speed records OK!!!

If the condition and price of each bike was the same, I'd always go for the RD03!!

You won't regret buying either, I'm sure.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got to echo what is said above . I have owned both and prefer the RD 03 lighter ,better quality and better looking . Have to declare self interest as well as my bike now for sale if you want to look in the for sale section .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the steer guys - I think each would cost just over £2g and i'll check for top quality. Sounds like the RD03 is the one to pick if possible!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Thanks for the steer guys - I think each would cost just over £2g and i'll check for top quality. Sounds like the RD03 is the one to pick if possible!

For £2000 I would expect a very clean, original machine.

Silly things on a bike can give away how particular a previous owner may have been about caring for the bike, so check things like fasteners, making sure they are the correct type and not too corroded. Check the tyres, chain and sprockets, and shock (which could be a bit tired).

I assume for that money that you are buying from a dealer, so insist on a warranty or some sort of contract whereby you can return the bike within 30 days if you discover any nasties.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts