Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my friends does anyone knows the size of the clutch basket springs because it is noisy and I want to repair it.
Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want the 5 clutch springs but I am looking for the 6 short springs that are getting loose after thousands of klm! That's the ones that are fitted inside the clutch plate

·
Registered
6 Posts
The springs are 16mm in diameter and 25-26 mm long. I used some yellow die springs from ebay, made some shims for extra preload ( probably would be ok without). Haven't tried it yet though .
If you search for die spring on ebay, you'll find it. Color means stiffness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some pics
Hi Robert, have you installed your refurbished basket? How is it holding up? I would like to refurbish my basket as well. Tried shimming the old springs, but now it rattles when bike is cold with clutch lever pulled in when in neutral. Also when bike gets warm, I feel a slight clutch drag and hard to get into neutral from 1st. So it's time to overhaul the clutch and would like to change the damping springs also. Do you happen to have the measurements for the stock springs(OD, length, wire diameter). Aren't the yellow springs weak for this application?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hei alpi, just going for the first ride today, so can't say yet how good/bad it will last. There is stil a bit of rattle in neutral, but i think it's something other then springs, maybe clutch disks or gears? In gear it silent.
The last owner has welded the springs to the steel cage and they all broke at the weld, so I vant really tell you the oem length, but the slot for the spring is about 25mm long. Diameter of the spring is about 15.5mm and the wire is 4mm.
You can get other colour spring, which are stiffer, google will help you on which colour.
As for sticky gears, your steel plates might be warped or there is wear on the basket, that's why clutch wont disengage properly. That's assuming your clutch wire is adjusted properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hei alpi, just going for the first ride today, so can't say yet how good/bad it will last. There is stil a bit of rattle in neutral, but i think it's something other then springs, maybe clutch disks or gears? In gear it silent.
The last owner has welded the springs to the steel cage and they all broke at the weld, so I vant really tell you the oem length, but the slot for the spring is about 25mm long. Diameter of the spring is about 15.5mm and the wire is 4mm.
You can get other colour spring, which are stiffer, google will help you on which colour.
As for sticky gears, your steel plates might be warped or there is wear on the basket, that's why clutch wont disengage properly. That's assuming your clutch wire is adjusted properly.
Thanks for your reply.
Please let me know on how your clutch is behaving. I may get a set of different springs and check.
As for the sticky clutch I will investigate when it is all apart. Will do a dry assembly on the bench, and check everything for smooth operation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was wondering if the springs wire diameter is the same on all 6 springs. Came across a photo of the springs lined up, and seems that two of them have different wire diameter. Maybe just an optical illusion. Can you confirm that they are all the same wire size?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts