Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
It looks nice, but is really a styling exercise. If you want to truly protect you precious headlights from large and small stones (which cracked one of mine!) check out this polycarbonate one from rugged roads. It says its for an RD04 but i managed to fit it to my RD07A. If you have ever tried to break a piece of polycarbonate you will realize that no stone or rock will get through it. If it does it will take out your whole bike !!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The problem with a polycarbonate shield is that while it is great for protection, light gets diffused all over the place. I guss it is a matter of compromise. as for the headlamp grill advertized here, I'd be curious to see it if fits the RD03 front cowl. also, as a side note, the original RD03 grill had thicker grills and the pattern of "missing squares" was different.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree that light diffusion can happen but that usually is when the polycarbonate is significantly curved and thick.
My experience with the Rugged roads one is that if it does have any effect, it is so minimal that you cant see it. It also does not cut down the available light that the grill must surely do. Protection wise, my headlamp was cracked by a very small stone, kicked up by a car in front on the road, let alone some stoney track!. The replacement cost was a learning lesson which i dont want to repeat. With the mesh type, this could still happen unless very fine mesh was used, but that would require supporting stiffeners. The rugged roads shield made sure no re-occurrence would happen but i did think it could pop out over rough surfaces, so retained it more securely than just relying on the clips.

I have also recently made a polycarbonate shield for my Yamaha TT250R Green Lane bike and again this has made no difference to light diffusion which i did check just in case. Another point about plastics is that many car headlight 'Glass' outers are made of plastic, where uncontrolled light diffusion would not be tolerated.
You can buy small sheets of polycarbonate and make your own as i did with the Yamaha. Just a word of warning, i used 4mm as the Rugged roads one is this thick, but it is very hard to bend without heat and a vice! If i was to make another, i would use 2mm. Dont worry about its strength, as you can bend it double, cold, and it will not snap!! It could be used to make a spring of sorts!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts