Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Born in the early 80s, I recently purchased my long-time childhood dream motorcycle: an XRV 750 RD04 from 1992 in the RBW colours and I absolutely love it.
I must say though that I have had a couple of issues and quite some stuff has already been replaced:
New fuel pump,new voltage regulator, carbs went off and were checked and cleaned, compression was measured and ok.
The bike is now running perfectly when riding on road. It starts well, revs well, all you would want.
HOWEVER...
When riding off road in bumpy sections at low speeds (hence also low revs) the engine simply dies. You stop, hit the start button, and all is well again. Continue for another mile or so on the same bumpy low speed section, and it dies again.
Next hit a bit of nice gravel track at higher speeds and no issues at all, like on the road.
I’m quite a bit lost in the problem solving and was wondering if somebody here would have an idea what the issue could be?
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Drain the float bowls into a clean container to see whats in there might have some water in there. when your bouncing around it may be blocking the jets, that's the easy bit. Check all electrical connections for corrosion or loose parts move things about when the bike is running to see if anything changes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Fred
Carbs rechecked but no water found and fully rechecked all fine. All electrical checked and contact sprayed. Issue seems to be still fuel pump because when we feed it directly from the tank (no pump) all is going well. Issue though is that when fitting a new pump, the same issue keeps coming back? And that is the original pump with new contact points.
So still struggling to get this solved...
Any other ideas?
Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
When the bike is ticking over hold the fuel pump and see if you can feel it pulsing, there should be quite a long time between pulses on tick over. Have you taken the delivery pipe off the pump and started the bike to see if it's pushing plenty of fuel through. You will need to put a long hose on the pump and have it in a suitable container to catch the fuel. there should be a strong squirt not a dribble. Warning no smoking or any forms of ignition when doing this ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts