Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I faced this problem couple years ago and repaired shock on my own. Last time after some requests on Polish Forum Africa Twin for help I started working on repair kit for this bike, So I want to share my work with you, I hope you are interested :)

As you may know rear shock can lose the oil, old used bushing may damage the rod coating. There is also no repair kit avalable in market.

Key features:
NEW OIL SEAL - I have opportunity to make new oil seal on special CNC lathe machine designed for it. New oil seal is thicker than OEM, and it is designed for 160 Bar (or 2320 Psi).
NEW AIR CAN COVER - with air valve and possibility of bladder relocation. After this changing oil in the shock is much easier task, so you can do it by yourself.

I'm working now on:
-sealing kit: main oil seal (ok), dust seal (adapter + seal), set of o-rings for: sealing head (ok), air can cover(ok))

-rod sliding bushing (ok),

-new air can cap with valve and bladder relocation (ok).

-new shock rod (ok), there is possibility to ride the bike up to 6cm, rod is 2cm longer

-parts electroplating (ok),

-new hose connecting air can to shock body (ok)

-shock painting (ok),

There will be 3 "how-to" videos to show the entire process of repairing the shock absorber:
-disassembly process:

-preparation and available solutions, how to upgrade this shock, how to change oil:

how the shock is built 0:17
what parts we need for rebuild 1:14
how to improve it 4:01
oil change procedure 4:30
oil change procedure (after improvement) 6:55
work progress 8:14
original air can cap modification 8:47

-assembly process:

I've made step by step instruction in PDF, you can download it here:
https://dmmotoadventures.com/shock-absorber-service/ (look for green button)
Inside you can find everything in one place, including seals dimensions.

Do you have any questions or ideas? Feel free to ask here!

·
Registered
2 Posts
incredible work, well done! you really seem to be an expert on this! Do you have a way to test if the spring is ok? The whole work does not bring any significant improvement on a worn suspension if the spring has lost its stiffness and is not replaced after such repair, right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! This is 3rd shock in my life ... so I'm not an expert. I have some mechanical knowledge from school and I'm trying to use it :D

Spring is important element, but it is "easy" to check. You need to check only free length (0kg load at spring) - in RD07A it is 245,5cm. In second test you need to put something heavy on the spring and check it's compression. In RD07A spring should compress 1cm after putting 70kg on it. You can use some metal weight plates from gym :D

BTW. Shock is in one piece now (I over-pressured it to 20 bar and I'm checking it now for any oil/air leakage) :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
You have a brand-new suspension for your AT!! I wish you many happy rides with it, I am really curious about its performance after this general overhaul

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sold my XRV750 last year and replaced it by XR400, because girlfriend bought her own bike - DR350. Unfortunately there is no space for 3 bikes in our tiny garage (it is small room with normal door). AT was my first "big" bike after 125ccm, and our first adv bike.

Back to the topic, I serviced shock in my old AT RD07 about 4 years ago (25-30kkm), because it was losing oil. I used same oil seal as in this rebuild and it is still running fine (I have contact with a new owner). There was only a small problem with air leakage, so every 1,2 or 3 months I was pumping some air into the reservoir. This shock belongs to my friend, he is rebuilding his AT RD07A now :)

But this time I prepared couple more rebuild kits and made much better rebuild (spring painting, parts electroplating and more cleaning). Also we are thinking about opening a small garage in the future, but first we want to design nitrogen shock filling station, vacuum bleeder and shock dyno ... little project "after normal work" :D

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Thanks, a good thread !. I just put a brand new OEM Honda shock on my bike and have the old one laying around still. One day I'll come back to this thread and do something about fixing it up, I've never rebuilt a shock before. (y):)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I added last video and link to my page. There is PDF to download with step by step instruction, seals and o-rings dimensions ... everything in one place. There are 50+ pages in this instruction :)

You should be able to change this:

To this :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts