Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted an 02 plate @ for sale
the front fairing is cracked around where the screen meets the cone - are these easily replaced with new or is it a case of repairing ?

It has 28,000 miles on it - at this mileage are there anyarge servicing costs to look forward to (I know it depends on how it has been looked after but assuming it has had a regular life)

I understand fuel pumps are an issue - is this the case on this model?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Repair the fairing 'til you see one cheap, fuel pumps arent a major issue (replace with facet 41050 pump (£25 + 1/2hr). First thing to check- front sprocket not welded on + condition of wheel rims... both expensive fixes/replace. Chokes sticking- clean & go. Engine pretty much bullet-proof, mines '98 @ done 15k in last 9 month - new fuel pump & the sidestand wire connector came loose (1min) Engine has never missed a beat (touch wood). Pretty cheap & straight-forward to service it yourself. One of the best bikes i've had. Can't say enough about the folk on this site - help, advice and a laugh to boot. hope it works out b 4 the summer is over.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
469 Posts
Sounds similar to my AT ('02 model, 28k miles) - recently took off all the plastics to give it its annual mega-clean to find the plastic around some of the bolt holes had completely disintegrated albeit these were the holes at the abutment of the upper & lower fairing panels.

I splashed out for two new panels (£229 [!] for the upper fairing, £97 for the lower panel) and have kept the old panels to repair and keep as spares. Last year I replaced the other lower panel which had also become badly cracked. I've carried out some repairs to the plastics previously using Araldite which worked well but doesn't look too pretty.

Re. the fuel pump, there's loads of info elsewhere; I replaced the OE at 19k, when it started to intermittently cut out, with a Facet pump which has been fine.

Other servicing issues are generally straightforward and of relatively low cost. My AT has been afflicted by some of the commoner failings (reg/rec, fuel pump, speedo drive). The most serious failure seems to relate to the final drive output and there's loads of info. on this elsewhere.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that info.
Wanting to buy as second bike that will allow me to travel to offroad. The drz I have is great but any offroad stuff is always a distance away.
I would then patch up plastic as it will only get damaged again when I drop it.

Going to keep the cumfy varadero for commute. Next thing is sell the drz400

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a great start to a Sunday morning (sadly didn't get a call from camalot but hey ho)

started with fantastic sunshine and a ride out at 8 am over from Barnsley to glossop across the woodhead pass, then down the snake a57 to ladybower res then off to castleton and up through winnits pass -all to look at a red White and blue African twin.
Should have left my money at home!
Pick it up later in the week.

Now back home and Sunday roast underway. What else can Sunday hold :)

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Retire to the pub this afternoon for a few cold ones :thumbup:
Have just ordered a cold Guinness - all in the name of preparation for TLD!

New bike - reminds me of Wonderwoman

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks nice & well worth the trip- did you get a good deal?
HI
Well worth the trip. There are a few scuffs on the fairing but since I am planning to use it as an off road and second bike it will get some anyway - I am planning to put crashbars on it and also some Continental TCK80 (think that's the ones)
The Venom can sounded nice too - always a sucker for a good exhaust sound.
Price was good - put it this way if I take it out first day and land it onit's head I won't be crying as much as if I had paid top dollar for a minter - and it was from a XRV forum user so a good natter bout them and the Varadero.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey you can't beat a jellys brew, He didn't charge you for it surely:rolleyes:
Came in with the deal- bike was free brew was two grand! And stop calling me surely teehee

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One beer only tonight as picking up the bike in the morning. Catching the train at 6:30 am
looking forward to a long roundabout ride back.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Enjoy it mate :thumbup:
A train ride through the Vale to Hope - can't remember last time I went on a train ride.
Met Jelly at the station at 7:30am.
Great Brew and Breakfast - Visit Yonderman Cafe if you are in the Peak District it's a must. Great Bloke BTW

A very long detour now - first 20 mins was strange as I am used to the Big Vara and this babe doesn't need half as much coaxing to get it into corners :)
Venom Can sounds GREAT - even took my ear plugs out to appreciate them.

Now sat at the other end of the Snake pass deciding how much longer I can get away with being out.

WHy everyone doesn't ride an AT I cannot fathom.
BIG BIG SMILE and TBH not bothered if I don't win the lottery this week.:thumb::thumbup:

·
Ooh Aah Cantona!
177 Posts
Make sure you look after my old bike now that Jelly has done with it. Hope you have lots of fun on it just as I did.
Cheers
:thumbright:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts