Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbie here. I am still finding my way around on here but am no stranger to bike forums and I like to try to make a positive contribution where I can.

One of the things I have enjoyed doing on other forums is organising a photo competition of members bikes in interesting places and then printing the winners in a calendar which is then sold for charity.

The competitions I have run are done for purely for fun and to raise money for a good cause. My experience has been that it adds interest to the forum, members enjoy taking part and some get to see their pride and joy in a bespoke, professional looking calendar...plus we make a few quid for charity (100% of all profits go to the good cause).

Would there be any interest in this on XRV at some point ie run a competition in 2013 for a 2014 calendar?

If so, who do I need to contact with?

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Yes, I think there would definitely be interest. We are already pining for our non-existent 2013 calendar. If you are willing to take on the bulk of the work involved, then I'm sure members will be prepared to pay an extra quid or two if it's "for charidee" :D.

Big question is, will it be like the WI calendar with riders posing - ahem - by their bikes??? :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a few pages from the 2013 Tiger 800 owners calendar I organised. It'll give you the gist of the one we produced for their forum. These are all members photos , no professionals, just guys and gals our on their bikes. Some lovely shots though and when formatted, it looks great.

This is just a sample. On the actual calendar there are smaller "inset" photos in some of the main photos, just to add interest (I tried to get a link here to the other forum page but I can't make it work).

Calendars are £9.95 + P & P and that price enables us to donate over £5 from each one sold to charity (Motorcycle Outreach).

The Tiger 800 boys love their calendar since it comprises their photos of their bikes . About 80 members took part in a "Photo Competition" during the summer and about 35 members submitted votes to select the winners. Myself and a biker friend volunteer to do the graphics (formatting of the calendar ), process the orders and pack/ posting to members (160 calendars to 90 customers in 16 different countries!)
We are prepared to do it this way rather than give it to a media printing website because the calendars are about £5 cheaper, we can use our own format (XRV design, logos etc) rather than be stuck with standard template , and the main plus, it means we can donate most of the proceeds to charity.

I 've done this sort of thing for the last 3 years now and I can honestly say it's great fun for members. This is a non-profit making thing, the only profit involved is what we pay the printer , but the vast majority goes to Motorcycle Outreach.

BTW, this charity has no paid staff, no shops or offices so no burdening overheads. All work done on behlaf of the charity is done by volunteers (I am one ).
so most of the money goes to the people in need (check out the charities website - its a bit crap but an upgrade is imminent).

So, over to you guys. I 'm brand new on here so rely on establish members to let me know if this is of interest. I had a days ride with Digitalcaptive (who also owns a Tiger 800) recently and he suggested I table the suggestion on here.

Await your feedback

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Theme is members choice. The Tiger one was a bit saucy (probably why moderator is checking them out himself right now).;)

Actually no, its all decent stuff.

Any idea how many people would be interested in taking part in a photo competition. We had around 80 over the summer and limited it to 3 photos each.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Big question is, will it be like the WI calendar with riders posing - ahem - by their bikes??? :)

Just remember you will have to look at each picture for a month and some may not be pleasant. :D:D:D

Great idea Kingfisher. I have enjoyed the 2012 XRV calendar, Even Mrs V has enjoyed some of the pictures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. Really great looking photos. Calendar format is cool too. Its along the same lines as the Tiger 800 (samples above) so I 'm sure we could do it justice. Digitalcaptive did a great job.

50 calendars sold. Is that a good guide for future productions?

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Theme is members choice. The Tiger one was a bit saucy (probably why moderator is checking them out himself right now).;)

Actually no, its all decent stuff.

Any idea how many people would be interested in taking part in a photo competition. We had around 80 over the summer and limited it to 3 photos each.
Its just dawned on me who you biker freind is.......Rocket off T800 Forum? :D, Hello mate
...........I can personally vouch for the quality of these Calendars too a very nice product and the charity proportion of the cost makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside:thumbup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its just dawned on me who you biker freind is.......Rocket off T800 Forum? :D, Hello mate
...........I can personally vouch for the quality of these Calendars too a very nice product and the charity proportion of the cost makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside:thumbup:
Ha Ha, Hi Mate, I tried to join XRV as Rocket but it was taken so opted for Kingfisher (don't ask why, thought of boats and that was the first name that came into my head).

Thanks for your endorsement - really impressed with your 2012 calendar - some fabulous photos (must have been hard selecting).

Andyrut and I are up for running a photo competition for XRV members and producing a 2014 calendar if there is sufficient interest.

We are prepared to do most of the work (although it would be good to get some help too). We are lucky enough to have access to a cheap reliable printer so we can keep low and make a good contribution to charity. Thats the main reason we do it.

However, everybody gets something out of this kind of approach:

- forum members have fun in taking part in the photo competiton
- the forum gets its own bespoke , professionally produced calendar (at a reasonable cost)
- the forum gains interest so forum owners are happy
- in the process we make a valuable charitable donation

1 - 20 of 59 Posts