Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Some of my finest riding companions are those with strange clothes from north of the border - thankfully they've learned that riding their bikes with a kilt is not a good look.

Forgot to mention, ALL the spare cash from calendar sales will go to the charity. We will finalise this after all costs are known. Eg, this year, someone's calendar didnt arrive so we posted a spare at no cost the person.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Mentioned the XRV interest in a photo competition and calendar to Andyrut (the guy who helped me with the Tiger 800 Calendar) today. We will this up in January. Meanwhile , Happy New Year to everyone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Whilst many of us have snow covered drives and gardens, it isn't an obvious time to be arranging a photo competition and calendar, but its good to get the ball rolling early in order to gain some decent momentum by the Spring.

Having had a chat with Lulu about things, I would like to propose the following:

I will organise and run a photo competition this year in order to produce the XRV Forum 2014 calendar.

The photo competition will run from now until mid September 2013 (to allow last minute entries from the National!)

Forum members will be invited to vote for the top 3 winning photos. A panel of 3 (me, my graphics expert and a pro- standard photographer from the forum) will select the balance of photos to produce the calendar.

The 3 winners will be given a free copy of the calendar as a prize.

THE 2014 CALENDAR WILL BE SOLD IN ORDER TO RAISE MONEY FOR CHARITY

In the light of the tragic news of Alan Vendy, since I offered to run the calendar project, I propose that any funds raised are now shared equally between Motorcycle Outreach and the forum's chosen charity for sufferers of MS.

I will be contacting one of the Moderators shortly to set up dedicated threads for the photo competition. I will post further details here when this is done.

I look forward to seeing lots of great photos appearing on the site over the summer months. I also look forward to holding a fun competition and producing a high quality calendar that we can all enjoy throughout 2014 , and feel a little proud of the charitable donations we will have made in the process.

We up for this project?

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
I think this is great, and can't wait to see the new calendar. My walls are looking very bare this year :(. The competition should be fun too, and both charities are very worthwhile. It would be great if we can find a way to double sales this time around - I think alot of family and friends of mine will be getting XRV calendars for Xmas next year! There are so many excellent photographers on here, the competition should be tough.

Thanks to Kingfisher for taking on this task :thumbup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
In order to keep this topic in focus and organised, ideally a sub-board is needed because we need 3 main threads:
- one just for photos,
- one for competition rules and guidelines, Q and A , plus general discussion
- and one to simply record the list of those intending to participate (this gives us an indication of the likely size of the competition in advance because many people leave their posting well into the summer).

If a sub- board cannot be created, then stickies will suffice

The calendar threads can be added later in the year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Whilst the forum is great for viewing the photos as they are added through the summer, these are compressed images And not the best for printing purposes. Forums usually "shrink " images uploaded from photo host sites in order to save space.

To overcome this problem, participants will be asked to also post an "original" copy of their photos on a Flickr account . (I will set up a dedicated Flickr account for our our competition photos, and provide all entrants with the access code).

People needn't worry if they've never used Flickr before and are uncertain what to do. I will provide instructions. Also, if anyone is struggling, I am am happy to talk them through it on a one to one basis.

Using a Flickr account for our photos has 2 advantages. Firstly, it ensures we have a "full size" file copy of the photo ( essential for printing purposes) and second, it makes it really easy for my graphics mate to download the photos selected for the calendar, without having to chase people up by email for copies of their original files.

The other advantage is that we can keep a look out for any that have problems and get back to people

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
I am very fortunate to have access to a professional graphics company.

Costs and net contributions to charity will depend on the volume of sales but to give you some idea, I would expect the calendar price to be £9.95 plus P&P. Out of this, I would expect us to make at least £6 net profit for charity. So, if we sold 100 calendars, that would make £600 for our charities.
If members get behind this project, we could do twice that with a forum of this size.

The reason we can achieve a high donation per calendar , whilst keeping the price reasonable, is that my contacts in the graphics and printing trade are prepared to offer their expertise at a subsidised rate. It also means that we get a professional job done which improves the quality of the finished product.

To be clear, my time on this project is entirely voluntary, the only costs will be those we incur on the graphics and printing.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well done Kingfisher I think your doing a grand job,though I see Digitalcaptive is helping and every time I have seen him he seems to be drunk as a lord and incapable of even simple speech let alone creatin a high quality calender .......

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Well done Kingfisher I think your doing a grand job,though I see Digitalcaptive is helping and every time I have seen him he seems to be drunk as a lord and incapable of even simple speech let alone creatin a high quality calender .......
Are you sure its everytime Mel? I can't remember for sure but then thats probably because I was drunk :D

I'm not actually helping with this one, I'm just endorsing it having had one of this years Tiger 800 calendars these guys produced ..........so don't expect the usual beauties draped over motorcycles like in previous years and besides Hudders refuses to get his kit off for the photo shoots anymore

41 - 59 of 59 Posts