Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Been thinking about a few things to do some good in the world or at least help.

Just an idea at present but how about an XRV.ORG Relay rally around the world? I know it's been done before but...

Here's the difference, maybe on Honda C90's or something similar?

We sort out 4 Honda C90's between us and they go around the world, changing riders as they go with each rider raising donations for their time in the saddle. Non riders can of course also donate.

Each bike has something they carry with them also (think comic but poignant) to emphasise the good that riders for health do and how even these most unlikely of vehicles that the rest of the world often dismiss can be used to make a vast difference to peoples lives.

It would also help raise the profile of this site greatly.

Thoughts people?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You mention Riders, but I wonder if you have ever heard of Motorcycle Outreach that does a similar thing. Probably not, most people haven't.

Riders is massively successful and a really well established charity that raises millions . It focusses its workentirely in Africa and its expansion plans are also confined to Africa. That's ok because many of the worlds most deprived countries are there.

The other strength of Riders is that it has Royalty on its side. Princess Ann is its Patron. In terms of biker support, Riders has the MotoGp sown up thanks to Randy Mamola in the early days. Its fund raising is an awesome machine managed by a very professional organisation doing excellent work .

Motorcycle Outreach is tiny in comparison. It does the same type of thing as Riders But only has
one project in Indonesia , a fleet of 12 Yamahas to enable health workers to reach approx 50,000 people living in remote villages on the Indonesian islands around Flores.

The charity was started by Simon Milward 10 years ago . He was a humanitarian and representative for bikers rights working for MAG. Sadly , he got killed in an accident in Africa a few years ago and one or two friends and his family have kept his legacy going. But they are struggling, which is why I decided to give it my support last year.

I am working with One of the key Trustees, Craig Carey Clinch, to make plans to build the charity so it can expand and start new projects in other parts of the world ( but not Africa since that is Riders turf)

It's a big world out there and there are millions of people struggling to get basic healthcare. Like Riders we want to fund the purchase of motorcycles and ensure their proper maintenance so the health workers can reach people living in remote areas of developing countries.

Now we are looking to raise awareness and get some of the motorcycling community behind us. It's going to be a long road.

So, please bear us in mind in future.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kingfisher,

More than happy to look at this charity if anyone is interested in doing this or something similar. Just feel the need to do a little good in the world and help show the non biking world that bikers aren't the devil at the same time!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kingfisher,

More than happy to look at this charity if anyone is interested in doing this or something similar. Just feel the need to do a little good in the world and help show the non biking world that bikers aren't the devil at the same time!
Couldn't agree more Phil.

As it happens, I am working on some new ideas for Motorcycle Outreach this weekend and one of the things I am pondering is how to gain support from as many motorcyclists as possible to get behind the charity.

Like you, my motivation is simply to do some good in the world , but to do it by trying to harness the support of like-minded individuals who wish to contribute to humanitarian projects that collectively build an improved public image of motorcycling.

I believe we have an opportunity to do that with Motorcycle Outreach.

Today, the charity is tiny but it has some fantastic things going for it and it just needs a few interested people to get together and start building the business. Here's a few good things I like about the MoR concept and why it's got my interest ( BTW, I am not a Trustee of the charity or connected in any way. I 'm just a mid-50s regular biker that decided to volunteer to help last summer).

The charity's focus , like Riders, is transport resource management. In simple terms that means providing motorcycles and keeping them well maintained to enable to healthworkers (and aid workers) to reach people living in remote locations in developing countries.
As we all know motorcycles are cheaper and more flexible thatn 4 x 4's and in some cases the only means of reaching remote villages. Often, governments dont even think of using motorbikes.

Being independent and flexible means that MoR can fund the setting up of small local maintenance teams to work with any local health organisation or NGO (Save the Children, Oxfam, UNICEF) anywhere in the world as an "enabler" to help their people to reach more of their population and provide basic, life-saving healthcare to people in the more remote regions (these people are often left since the focus of resources is normally in the towns and cities).

Its a simple concept.

The other feature I like is that MoR is a charity run by motorcycle enthusiasts , to raise money for....well, motorcycles. All the work is done by volunteers - there are no paid staff, executives , shops or other expensive overheads. In fact , even the Articles say that at least 85% of all funds raised will go to the people who need it . (this high contribution % is very rare and a real plus point in my book). Having spoke to the MD, he is keen to keep it that way - but this means building an army of volunteers.

This question on my mind, is how best to get the word out about this opportunity , and how to find those like-minded people.......

...a challenge all charities face, I guess!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts