Honda XRV Forum banner

Which decal would you buy from the forum shop?

• xrv.org.uk - in reflective white

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • xrv.org.uk - in reflective black

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • XRV oval

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Takes you anywhere.........

Votes: 27 37.0%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to gauge demand for forum decals as to what you want and what style, so that I can get a quote for exactly what we want.

There are 4 styles on offer:

1) xrv.org.uk logo in reflective white (letters to be 20mm high, letters only with no background)
2) xrv,org.uk logo in reflective black (letters to be 20mm high, letters only with no background)
3) XRV oval - reflective white - in the style of country designation decal (150mm x 100mm oval)
4) Takes you anywhere....... - reflective white (80mm x 80mm) (Yes Whealie has given his blessing...........)

The material used is an LG product manufactured under licence from 3M which apparently has been developed by both companies to offer superior longevity of fade.
All decals will be printed and then laminated as well for further protection.

Can you please vote for your preference(s) - either just one or all four.........

·
Registered
73 Posts
Who makes reflective black?

I've heard of Reflective White, Blue, Red and Yellow but never black?

The reflective vinyl is usually a lot thicker than standard black/white cast vinyl which usually measures around 70 microns sometimes thinnrer.

The reflective type is around 140 microns. Twice as thick and I've got to say looks a bit naff. It's also more prone to lifting or trapping dirt on it's edges.

I think just a good quality cast vinyl in black or white would be the best to apply to your bike. Cheaper and looks better. The reflective stuff is a nightmare to remove too. It comes off in very tiny pieces.

Craig

Screen Print Design Ltd. - Hull

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who makes reflective black?

I've heard of Reflective White, Blue, Red and Yellow but never black?

The reflective vinyl is usually a lot thicker than standard black/white cast vinyl which usually measures around 70 microns sometimes thinnrer.

The reflective type is around 140 microns. Twice as thick and I've got to say looks a bit naff. It's also more prone to lifting or trapping dirt on it's edges.

I think just a good quality cast vinyl in black or white would be the best to apply to your bike. Cheaper and looks better. The reflective stuff is a nightmare to remove too. It comes off in very tiny pieces.

Craig

Screen Print Design Ltd. - Hull
I'm suprised that a printing company has never heard of it - it's manufactured by probably the largest 'decal material' company in the world - 3M, and another manufacturer Reflexite, makes a similiar product.

Here's a link to the product specs

I like the idea of having a decal that shows your support of the forum AND ALSO gives you greater visibility to other road users.:) Plus it's that bit different from what everyone else makes to stick on a bike ;)

I think you're getting it confused with the SOLAS tape - which I agree is thicker and not the best looking stuff to put on your bike.

Since I'm doing the legwork on this, I made the decision to look into what I would like on my @ and also review what other Trail and Adventure Bike owners put on their's.

Have a look here and here to see what I mean.

At the end of the day, I can't please everyone............:(

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
ovals cool good work stormforce:cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I stand corrected! I must admit the idea of a reflective black it an odd one though. How does it reflect an absence of colour?

Surely a non-reflective black on a reflective white would work better.

I was involved with the world presentation of the 'Reflexite' product in 1999 by a design agency I worked for and never saw any black. They don't list any on their site either.

I still stand by my guns on the thickness issues though. UGLY!

The only other problem I could see with fitting a reflective white sticker to your bike is where you put it. Sticking it on the rear of your bike could get you into trouble with the old bill.
A reflective white sticker on the back of your bike is classed as 'displaying a white light to the rear of a vehicle' which is against the law.

I'm not trying to upset anyone here... just airing some thoughts.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3M™ Scotchlite™ Flexible Reflective Graphic Film 680-85 BlackDurable, flexible, enclosed-lens, retroreflective film to make permanent, multicolor commercial signs, striping, vehicle or railroad graphics. This black film has a black daytime appearance but reflects white at night. It has positionable, pressure-activated adhesive and a total thickness of .007 to .008 inches.

Reflexite 2001 Series Black - item code 2011-8900-775

This is what it looks like in daylight:

And at night:

Only those that like them will buy them ;)

·
17,680 Posts
3M™ Scotchlite™ Flexible Reflective Graphic Film 680-85 BlackDurable, flexible, enclosed-lens, retroreflective film to make permanent, multicolor commercial signs, striping, vehicle or railroad graphics. This black film has a black daytime appearance but reflects white at night. It has positionable, pressure-activated adhesive and a total thickness of .007 to .008 inches.

Reflexite 2001 Series Black - item code 2011-8900-775

This is what it looks like in daylight:

And at night:

Only those that like them will buy them ;)
mee likey:D

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
I'd buy 'em all, but the plain xrv.org ones are more to my liking - ain't got anywhere to stick the others - no sniggering at the back......

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Just to make life more complicated, over on AdvRider a load of full size ovals were made that sold well but members went bonkers :joker: over a load of smaller stickers (about 3" x 1 3/4"). So much so that I ended up sending one back to the States 'cos no more were being made!

I felt, and I guess many others did too, that the smaller size looked much better on a bike.

My tuppence!!

-Simon

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think the black oval ones are realy cool ( that GS looks Cool in the dark)

So i will have a double cornet & a 99 please.............:scratch:

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
those GS guys have got way too much time on their hands :D

·
17,680 Posts
when can we have these goodies?
I want one nooooooowwwwwwwwww:crybaby:
me to:Dneed some stickers for the new beastie:cool:

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when can we have these goodies?
I want one nooooooowwwwwwwwww:crybaby:
I quite agree, and just to show you all that I haven't been slacking this is the story so far..........:mad:

1st March
Sent email to my local printing company New Forest Signs asking for a quote

2nd March
Sent email to Morgan Race Products asking for a quote
Sent email to chap who does the GS stickers asking for a quote

Received 'verbal' job lot quote from New Forest Signs

6th March
Sent another email to Morgan Race Products asking if they have had a chance to look at this yet

8th March
Sent another email to the chap who does the GS stickers asking if he has looked at it yet

9th March
Received email from GS chap saying he will be in touch next week

12th March
Sent another email to Morgan Race Products asking for a quote
Sent another email to New Forest Signs asking for 'per item' quote in writing.
Sent email to Bike Decals asking for a quote
Sent email to MRSDirect asking for a quote
Sent email to Image Works asking for a quote
Sent email to Sign Print asking for a quote

Received email quote from Sign Print

14th March
Received email quote from Image Works

22nd March
Received email quote from New Forest Signs.

So as you can see, I've found it bloody difficult to try and give business to someone - I didn't realise it was going to be so hard.

I've sent detailed emails with image files to 6 companies requesting a quote and after 3 weeks I have finally managed to get 3 responses.

I'm going to put these quotes over to Dave and then decide on the best way forward - but please be patient, I haven't forgotten, I can only go as quickly as the 'potential' suppliers.

I too am keen to get my XRV decals on my @:thumbleft:

·
17,680 Posts
good work mate:happy6:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Well done
No worrys there is no rush:D

1 - 20 of 79 Posts