Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the cubs in 1954 and then into the Boy Scouts in 1958. I continued with the Scouts as a leader into the 1980s and am wondering if this involvement (outdoor ruggedness exploring tracking etc) swayed my choice of motorcycle ie the Transalp? (Oh I did a bit of TA soldiering in the 1960s also). Anybody else on here who was a Scout and went along this road to an XRV? By the way dont you think the name 'Scout' would be an ideal name for a motorcycle or do 'Indian' own it?

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I was in the Scouts briefly, but left at 14 to join a drama club. My rufty-tuftiness has been nothing but an act ever since.:D

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
I was in the cubs, then the scouts briefly, (shortly after, I got thrown out of the girl guides, wasn't sure if that was because of the cross dressing thing or peeking in the showers......).:D
None of these three stages of my life had anything to do with my choice of bike, however.;):D

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
+1 for scouts! (1st HLC Lincs) bad bunch but we did loads of stuff! :thumb:

We opposed the girls in scouts for years. Our leader asked us and we all said no and he just said 'ain't gunna argue with that'. And that was that.:D

The guides local to us only wanted to be in scouts cos we did the cool stuff and they were more interested in making their tents tidy! :rolleyes::confused:

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Cubs, yes. Newham East pack.

Then we moved to Brentwood, where there were no Scout packs to join :confused: - so I didn't!

Dad tried to talk me into joining the Boy's Brigade - never heard of them before - "It's just like the Scouts, but with a different uniform." he said.
I left / they threw me out after 2 weeks when I refused to go to Sunday School :D - apparently Dad neglected to tell me that was part of the deal. :confused:

Did any of this affect my choice of bike? Don't know. Certainly enjoyed the camping and activities. :D

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
MoM? :hitler:
I can not tell a lie :D:D:D

I was in scouts then venture scouts, met queeny and DofE met her hubby too. Loved it all especially doing the back woods stuff, think they call it poaching now tho.:D:D

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yep Cubs and then Scouts briefley,

Then found that jumping a grifter over huge ramps was much more fun :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Cubs, Scouts and Venture scouts. Still love camping.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
me too cubs and scouts, later helping out with local groups as both lads joined up.
after scouts took up canoeing which also appears quit popular on here.
may be its some kind of perversion being out and about, getting wet and cold.:D:D:D

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
it was the boys brigade when i was younger then army cadets later..
had more fun in the army cadets though...what other junior organisation teaches you to shoot people....
any one got a bren gun they want stripping and cleaning !!
:hitler:

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Me too - Sea Scouts - 25th Argyll

I loved the Scouts, I defected to them from the BBs - boring, they just marched round the hall and went to church.

I learned skills that I still show off as a party trick , like tying a bowline round your waist with one hand while treading water. Try it !!! then I'll show you how it's done.:thumb:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Me too - Sea Scouts - 25th Argyll

Loved the Scouts I defected to them from the BBs - boring, they just marched round the hall and went to church.

I learned skills that I still show off as a party trick , like tying a bowline round your waste with one hand while treading water. Try it !!! then I'll show you how it's done.:thumb:
Sorry Jack, surely you never got out of the cubs.:D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Scouts and army cadets and allways enjoyed camping,this year 10 days IOM,3days moto gp and 4 days at the horizions unlimited meet.
Not bad for 60 .

·
Registered
736 Posts
yep, cubs, scouts, cadets and then Army, still there and loving it now :confused:

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
........tying a bowline round your waist with one hand while treading water. Try it !!! then I'll show you how it's done.:thumb:
can do!! and I can get out of a full body harness under water without drowning!! I can also show you how to tie a never shake undone shoe-lace that can be just pulled to undo from the end like a normal single bow. Very handy for those crappy round fancy laces you get these days that spend more time undone than done-up. :thumb:

oh the joys of playing with rope all day eh wee man!!

I can also tie a good monkeys fist but we won't go there for public health reasons!! :confused::confused::D:D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I was in Cubs scouts and venture scouts, then joined the TA and the only thing I now miss is having a gun.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts