Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Training is going to plan (thanks dog, don't tell the RSPCA! :lol: ). Hoping for some good weather now that spring is springing. Looking forward to meeting you all.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
After a gently nudge from Paul yesterday, I checked out this Post - I'm not sure how this slipped past the radar but somehow it has......

Unfortunately, we're unable to make it for the walk up Snowdon on Saturday.
Hope everyone makes the summit & back safely & we've made a text donation to the MS just giving account.

Stay safe, take plenty of pics & hopefully catch you in Dent next weekend.

P&V

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Im not going to able able to make this weekend either, got the dates mixed up and my parents are over from France.

Hope all goes well and have a great day.

Simon :thumbright:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I will be starting my leg on Friday the 10th by riding from Great Yarmouth along the A47, A11, A14 which replicates the route we as a family used to go on holiday to the coast then to follow through until Catthorpe Interchange follow the A14 from Kettering which was my dad's daily commuter route !

Then join the A5 continuing up to Wales from there.!

Fingers crossed my Varadero will perform a fine performance anyone else willing to join me for the run up can join me en route for small sections all the whole route.

Please message me details of contacts of you would like go join me on the ride.
Jamie - ride safe

See you at the car park

I will not be on my bike but will be in a silver Galaxy

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Bump!............. donation made via the Justgiving site... Good luck everyone - hope the weather holds off for your walk.

:sunny:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks Meesh & Kev & Phil and any others that have donated

Going to be a wet and windy one !

I hope to get some pics, get to the top and get back down

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just arrived in Llanberis. Sunny now, but forecast is....... interesting?
Daughter here too, son arriving any time.
Look forward to meeting some of you tomorrow. (we'll be walking with rucksacks and waterproofs, we'll look out for your car Paul, we'll be blending in!)

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Good luck to all of you. Will be thinking of you and Alan too. RIP. gone bit never forgotten by all his xrv friends.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
R I P Alan,

Sorry couldn't be there, as I was doing other medical things on my Birthday, but you were in my thoughts during the day mate.

Hope the walk to the summit of Snowdon went well & the weather held out, never done Snowdon summit in good clear weather.

Gone but not forgotten.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
OK Peeps here's an update on yesterday

Weather as forecast gave us everything, rain, high winds, sun, snow and hail

I arrived at the carpark just after 9am and shortly after John (Alans Brother), John's son Stuart and daughter Ellie arrived on foot. Phoned Scott and he was on his way in a taxi with Mrs Vendy. John is a keen walker and has done several trips to the Himalayas. We knew from the forecast that we had rain but also the storm heading in might eventually blow out

Those that attended the very wet 2011 National at Snowdonia will remember the rain and some of the storms - up the mountain and especially at the top it's far more severe

Mrs Vendy was booked to get the 3pm train but they would not let her ride alone being in a wheel chair and the planned carer that was supposed to have been coming let them down at the last minute before they needed to come up. I volunteered to get the train up so that Scott could do the walk with Alan's ashes along with John, Stuart and Ellie. We rearranged the train for 2pm and they set of by 10 am. The 2pm train would have us at the summit weather permitting by 2.45pm

As we arrived the family had arrived too but were very wet due to the rain, snow and hail

A suitable spot was picked where Anne (Mrs Vendy) could watch. The blokes arranged the ground, ashes placed with a photograph of Alan and messages then covered in more rocks. Last thoughts before getting ready for the descent

Alan Vendy 004.jpg

Scott went back down on the train with his mum Anne

We're 1/4 of the way down and the wind blew the heavy storm through with a break in the clouds. You can see Llanberis in the far left of the picture by the lake. The clouds look eery bubbling up and down behind the cliff face and being whisped away by the strong wind. After this we just has slight spells of rain but not constant on the way down

Alan Vendy 007.jpg Alan Vendy 006.jpg

I did have a couple of other pictures but they won't load - the hail was horizontal and I think maybe the picture is not loading due to this

Scott achieved what he had come up to do

R I P Alan

And a fitting tribute to Alan, who was also a great lover of the outdoors and walking

Nice talking to you on the way down John and thanks for the heads up on the Himalayas

Stuart, Ellie and Scott, good to meet you too

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Paul,

Absolutely spot on mate.
I'm feeling a little choked reading this, many thanks for representing us at such a difficult time.
I'm sure Alan's family appreciated your efforts, I know I do.

Thank you Paul, you a very special person.
What he said,Paul.
I am so sorry i couldnt make it(Deb would not have coped with the walk in that weather) :(

Whats that mountain like in October as i WILL go up and say Bye to Alan?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great report on a the day Paul. I'm just home and would like to add that the world could do with a few more people like you. You made what could have been a difficult situation with the train very easy through your selfless sacrifice. I, and the rest of the family, owe you a lot more than the pint we offered before you left. A BIG thank you from us all. :thumb:

It was fantastic to meet you and I hope you have a great time when you get to the Himalaya.

Also a big thank you to all forum members who have donated to MS Trust on Just Giving, and thanks for being a friend and sounding board for Alan.

Just uploaded a few more pics and a short vid of the walk to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0c71b19u0t2pkl4/oePC1evMtm The sun shone briefly while we were at the stationat the top waiting for the train to arrive.

Stay safe and keep the shiney side up.

John

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hi John (Alans Brother), if you can make it to Dent either Friday evening or Saturday, join us for a bit. We will be in the farm field or in the Pub, don't worry about being on the bike or in the car or get a taxi and have a pint with us

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Great reports.

I was thinking of you as I rose sown to Hampshire win my wife pillion. I was otherwise engaged Saturday evening as the head teacher/quizmaster in a school-themed quiz for a charity that acts a dating agency for young people with learning difficulties (downs syndrome etc).

Otherwise I'd have been there.

I am so glad you managed it despite various elements conspiring to stop you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Well done to you Paul, and thanks for being there for Alan's family. It is so good to know that you were there to do this on behalf of XRV. My thoughts go out again to all the family, and I hope that this has helped you in your sorrow. It is a fitting tribute to Alan, and good to know that his ashes can now rest in peace in such an amazing spot. You are all terrific. Sorry I couldn't be there.

Lou x

41 - 60 of 62 Posts