Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..and for my next question...

I live in a hard water area, and quite near to the reservoir, so suffer from two problems with my incoming water, limescale and chlorine.

The chlorine I can sort of live with, but the limescale is beginning to get on my t&ts.

The main problem is the buildup of limescale in my shower enclosure, which I expertly clad in random Indian slate, so the limescale sticks to like sh%t to a blanket!!!

I can't afford a fancy water softener, but there are alternatives which nobody can seem to give a definitive answer about their effectiveness.

What I've been looking at are the clamp on magnets, and the wrap around electrical magnet versions, which go on the pipes.

Whatever I fit is going to be a PITA to be honest, as my supply comes in under the kitchen floor.

Has anyone got any experience (good or bad) of these devices or any others??????

Cheers

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Have you thought of moving to a better area?

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Buy a house in Wales - soft water here.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
We've none of that problems ---

But you'd hate it up here ;):D

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
It's because the sheep pee in all that lovely fresh mountain water old chap!!!!!!

:toothy7:
Well wooly you know it ! Ha ha it may be true but we don't worry because we send most if it over the border Ooops!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Move down here it's a soft water area, everything down here is nice and the only thing that aint soft is the people;);)

Can't you sink a bore hole in your garden and then use water from the water table then you wouldnt need mains water

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't you sink a bore hole in your garden and then use water from the water table then you wouldnt need mains water

Nice idea, but Southern Water have done that already!!

I'm on the south coast, and the water supply comes from a borehole a few miles away from me (at Poverty Bottom!! Poverty Bottom Pumping Station:: OS grid TQ4602 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!). The water is filtered through the chalk of the south downs, and the chlorine added as a gas, so it does eventually evaporate if you let the water stand before brewing up.

The problem is primarily the limescale, and I'm told that the magnets placed around the pipe alter the direction of the limescale particles in the water, making them less inclined to settle and stick to my bl00dy showed fittings and slate walls!!

Come on, someone must have tried one of these things???

:thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Nice idea, but Southern Water have done that already!!

I'm on the south coast, and the water supply comes from a borehole a few miles away from me (at Poverty Bottom!! Poverty Bottom Pumping Station:: OS grid TQ4602 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!). The water is filtered through the chalk of the south downs, and the chlorine added as a gas, so it does eventually evaporate if you let the water stand before brewing up.

The problem is primarily the limescale, and I'm told that the magnets placed around the pipe alter the direction of the limescale particles in the water, making them less inclined to settle and stick to my bl00dy showed fittings and slate walls!!

Come on, someone must have tried one of these things???

Not sure if you understood what i meant. How about if you come off mains water completely put your own bore hole in your garden down to the water table then pump it up to a header tank on the side of your property. Quite a few places have done it down here. Not heard of anybody having problems with flow or volume

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure if you understood what i meant. How about if you come off mains water completely put your own bore hole in your garden down to the water table then pump it up to a header tank on the side of your property. Quite a few places have done it down here. Not heard of anybody having problems with flow or volume

I got it completely Jason, but I'd be no better off, I'd still have a limescale problem!!

I suppose I'd save on my water bill, but the cost of a borehole, pump, fitting a tank etc, and then running the risk of drinking contaminated water (as I live close to a flood plain, and am bordered by fields one side where I guess they use pesticides, and then homes on the other side, and above me, where gods knows what could be getting into the water table. Plus of course, I'm within about 500 metres of the English Channel, so my borehole water could end up tasting a tad salty old chap!!!

I think if you live in a rural area, especially where you know whats around you and what's being used on the fields, it's probably OK, but for us sophisticated urbanites, the blue polypipe from the utility company is probably the best source!!

The borehole option would ultimately be more expensive than fitting a water softener unfortunately, and I ain't got the money for that!!

Come on chaps and chappesses, does anyone out there use the magnet solution??

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
how about after a shower you spray a fine mist of bicarb/water mix on the walls to neutralize from a hand held spray pump.
Would'nt hurt:cool:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Not a lot you can do about Hard Water i'm afraid. Water softners are more trouble than they are worth. The borhole option won't improve things as you would be abstracting water from the same underground aquafers as the Water company. Plus you would have to pay for an abstraction licence. The only upside is Hard Water is much better for you to drink. Which magazine and several goverment tests have shown the southeast has some of the best drinking water around.

But it Won't help your shower. Sorry.

Nigel
Thirty years in water company.:toothy2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts