Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Planning on flushing the coolant, can’t make out if I should use OAT (silicate free, red colour) or IAT.

The bike has green stuff in it now, but I believe silicates ruin the water pumps on some bikes. Anyone know what I need to use, my manual doesn’t say anything helpful on the matter.

Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi,

Planning on flushing the coolant, can’t make out if I should use OAT (silicate free, red colour) or IAT.

The bike has green stuff in it now, but I believe silicates ruin the water pumps on some bikes. Anyone know what I need to use, my manual doesn’t say anything helpful on the matter.

Thanks
Iv used Evans Waterless coolant for the last 50,000km or more, works great . No coolant system problems , no heat problems.

The original coolant I removed was also green.

4 years ago Honda changed from green coolant to blue for all their new bikes. Just make sure the coolant you use is ethylene glycol based

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

·
Registered
742 Posts
Any colour you like as long as there is a specification number, for most Japanese bikes look for the spec JIS K 2234 on the bottle, this will ensure that the coolant is silicate free, and phosphate free which is the important parts.
I bought Rockoil Kool XL because it conforms to this spec, Kool and Kool Ice do not.
Motul Inugel Expert Ultra has this spec as well.
I'm sure there are others but this is what I know have the correct spec.H
Genuine Honda Type 2 coolant will be fine, its pretty affordable from Honda car dealers
https://www.hondaparts247.co.uk/products/genuine-honda-type-2-engine-coolant-5-litres

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both, flushed it and filled with type 2 from Honda, the waterless stuff sounds good but I don't feel like spending that money on coolant right now!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Regarding Waterless coolants, I have one question if they are so superior then why do manufacturers not fill them as standard?
The answer I suspect is that they don't conduct heat as well as water, they can allow heads to run up to 60°C hotter and even stabilised they typically run 15-25°C higher than plain water.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Regarding Waterless coolants, I have one question if they are so superior then why do manufacturers not fill them as standard?
The answer I suspect is that they don't conduct heat as well as water, they can allow heads to run up to 60°C hotter and even stabilised they typically run 15-25°C higher than plain water.
Yes water is almost twice as efficient at heat transfer, Waterless coolant has pros and cons. The reason I use it was because you always have liquid to metal contact, water boils and steams, if there no water to remove the heat from your cylinder then they get even hotter

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

1 - 7 of 7 Posts