Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I decided to resolve this issue with my RD03 that it had when I acquired it. Basically, it starts on one cylinder, just, and using the choke will stay running but if i apply any throttle it will die. I've had the carb off and all appeared clear and clean but did not take apart but just replaced knackered screws with Honda replacements. Diaphragms & Air Cut off valves in tact and appear good, choke assembly had a broken nut so I've replaced it and the springs. Throttle cable is smooth but doesn't recoil on its own. Changed the induction connectors and bands. The air box assembly that attaches to the carb is attached but not with Honda bands but I believe good seals via jubilee clips?! Fuel taps serviced and strainers checked. Fuel line's clear and checked.

When I put everything back in place the bike wouldn't start but I found a dodgy spade end connection to a relay that appears non standard for the fuel pump. See image. When I rectified this the bike started but as it had before commencing.

I'm inexperienced but where should I be starting first? When cold after 30 seconds or so I take off the choke and hold the throttle but no pick up unless its caressed and the revs will pick up and it will fly around to 3000 - 4500 rpm and I immediately throttle off and it reacts immediately. It will sit and idle roughly. I have another RD03 and its idle is rough compared but when the bike gets to temperature it will rev and throttle alot better and I'd stay about 80% of normal.

My limited knowledge says the fuel pump cut off should be located on the left side of the handle bars but mine doesn't have this but instead it appears to have this relay setup. Could the relay be the cause? I've attached an image of the relay.

Anyway, in summary when cold start is appears to be running on one cylinder and any throttle will cut revs and result in a stall. A minute later when choke off you can feather the throttle to get a random revs burst.

Sorry for the long message but thought I'd better list it all.

Many thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
XRV750 RD07
39 Posts
Just a few questions: How long have you had this problem? Has the bike been standing long with stale fuel? Does it start ok when the engine is warm? Have you had any loss of coolant?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, own a year and it’s been sat an unknown period prior to me and it’s had this issue since I acquired it. No stale fuel as I’ve had the tank off and cleaned, fuel taps rebuilt, carbs off and nothing gunked up. Starts okay when warm. No loss of coolant. Thanks

·
Registered
XRV750 RD07
39 Posts
I think it probably is a fuel problem. Maybe worth turning over with plug caps removed and then see if both plugs are wet? This should at least confirm if you are getting fuel into the engine. Then plan from there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, yes did that and all are getting fuel but looking like too much fuel. Thinking of removing carbs again and ensuring jets are 100% clear and also floats operating as they should. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello.
Did You resolve a problem ? I have same like yours.
And question about fuel pump. Mine pump works only when engine starts with starter. And tester shows 1.2V at starting moment. But engine works and when fuel pump electrical connection is off. Is it normal ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts