Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XRV750 stalled when I was at idle waiting at an intersection the other day. Starter motor would not turn motor at all.
I removed plug on magneto cover and one spark plug from each cylinder then placed a ratchet on the magneto nut. Found that I could turn the motor 1 & 3/4 turns backwards then locks up and 1 & 3/4 turns forward and locks up. both pistons are moving up & down and good vacuum and pressure with finger in sparkplug holes. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to look for next please.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My XRV750 stalled when I was at idle waiting at an intersection the other day. Starter motor would not turn motor at all.
I removed plug on magneto cover and one spark plug from each cylinder then placed a ratchet on the magneto nut. Found that I could turn the motor 1 & 3/4 turns backwards then locks up and 1 & 3/4 turns forward and locks up. both pistons are moving up & down and good vacuum and pressure with finger in sparkplug holes. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to look for next please.
Could be starter clutch mechanism.
Something similar happened to a bloke I know some time back.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'll be a bit more negative and say broken camchain and valve open hitting piston stopping it turning?

You won't know until you start stripping it unfortunately. Hope it's just a starter issue, cheaper to fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks for the feedback guys
I removed magneto/starter motor cover but still not turning over.
Then I removed a both rocker covers to check cam chains and both are OK and all 6 valves are going up and down OK.
Also put a peace of wire in each spark plug hole and found when the motor stopped turning in both directions neither piston was in its up position.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi thanks for the feedback guys
I removed magneto/starter motor cover but still not turning over.
Then I removed a both rocker covers to check cam chains and both are OK and all 6 valves are going up and down OK.
Also put a peace of wire in each spark plug hole and found when the motor stopped turning in both directions neither piston was in its up position.
Think you need to take out the clutch basket a have a look for something broken.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Plus side is it may well be the starter clutch! Whew!
Best of luck mate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts