Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last winter, I have stripped the frame of my RD07a in order to have the frame powdercoated. I did document the project with pictures which served as an excellent help to get the bike reassembled in little more than two weekends. In the meantime I have sorted the pics and have added English and German comments. I´m happy to make the pics available to you as a web album; I hope you´ll find them helpful.

EDIT: The link to the picture set has been modified.

New link:

Google+ album: http://tinyurl.com/6u93yv2
Dropbox with zip-File: http://tinyurl.com/czj8qgw

Full link to zip-File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/teya8depi4osti3/Africa Twin RD07a Project (c) KEKS (Version 30Mar2012).zip

Changes:
- Frame Strip and Fork Revision projects combined in one file.
- New consistent numbering of pics.

- Zip file name includes date. Further changes to the file over time will be reflected by date change.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cookie,

I have been considering stripping down my AT to powdercoat the frame, but a lack of time and confidence in rebuilding it with all the parts & wiring back in the correct place has put me off.

I had planned to take extensive photographs but you have done it for me:-D

It's even the same colour as mine ;)

Many thanks for sharing this information:thumbup:

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ralph, thanks. I was scared of the wiring like hell. Actually, there´s not much to it, just one thick main harness with some branches, which are easily identifiable with pics. Unless you have custom wiring for some accessories you should not need to take own pics.
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
130 Posts
viellen dank fur die fotos! sie sind sehr nutzlich! ich hoffe das du nicht dagengen hast das ich den link in der forum des aficatwin comunitat aus Rumanien postiert hab!
thanks very much! very usefull

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
viellen dank fur die fotos! sie sind sehr nutzlich! ich hoffe das du nicht dagengen hast das ich den link in der forum des aficatwin comunitat aus Rumanien postiert hab!
thanks very much! very usefull
Raoul,
danke; thank you. Je mehr, desto besser. The more the merrier :)
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Cookie,

Really good step-by-step photos, thank you, I'm sure a lot of people on here will benefit.

How long did it take to strip down? ...and I can't believe that you did it in your living room!:eek:

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Cookie,

Really good step-by-step photos, thank you, I'm sure a lot of people on here will benefit.

How long did it take to strip down? ...and I can't believe that you did it in your living room!:eek:
Thanks. Stripping took about two weekends; rebuilding took about three weekends, but only because I made a number of repairs, changes of gaskets and seals etc. during the replacement, and because I did not have any reason to hurry.

We don´t have a garage, and the living room was an excellent option, with large wooden boards underneath. The bike was gone after eight days, and the frame was sent to a powercoater (the engine was left behind the couch, jacked up, which was a riot for a number of visiting kids). All the fifty-some bags with parts went to the basement, where I did some cleaning on parts in the meantime, e.g. cleaning and replacing gaskets of the carburettors etc.

My wife usually does not complain about me working on the bike in the living room, as she would otherwise have to pay for her bike´s inspection at the shop :) If the bike is clean before disassembly, the disassembly itself will not cause much trouble in terms of dirt in the living room, especially if the brake fluid and the engine oil are not drained, which then leaves only the coolant. However, I always enjoy the looks of my neighbours when we squeeze the AT through the front door; removing the fairing before does help :)
Cheers
Chris

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Great pics on the dismantling thread

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
A superb resource for all @ owners, thanks a lot for this.

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you so much. I have just acquired an RD07 project that had been stripped by one person and partially re-assembled by another. I have already managed to solve a couple of questions about "spare" parts with just a quick flick through!

Cheers,

Sam

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I shouldn´t be saying this, but I got myself in good time for my 50th birthday coming up in February a 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R, which is in fact an Africa Twin with all the latest gizmos, way less CAN-bus systems than any Beemer and with enough hp to suppress any Porsche driver´s ambitions to make a show at a traffic light.

I´ll be selling my AT within the next few months (rather have one bike on the road than two in the garage), with about 75.000km on the clock, fully serviced and fully loaded with all the goodies one can get for the AT, including adjustable shocks, V2A spokes etc.

It´s been great fun with you lot and I will continue to check in occasionally, as it will still be fun to give a piece of advice here and there and to answer questions as good as I can. I will obviously continue to make the full picture set of the Frame Stripping Project available at the known URL, so there is no need panic.

Best regards
Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Thank you very much for posting the photos. I am having problems with my AT engine protectors holder and was wondering where did you get the engine protector holder ? and if you did it home made, can you make one for me with a fee? Thanks, Tamer:smile:

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Uh, sorry, I did not notice the above question regarding the engine guard holder. That part was made from some guy in the Hamburg, Germany area about 7 years ago and offered for sale; I don´t have that address anymore and have not seen it being mentioned in any German AT forum for several years so it probably is not on the market anymore.

Regarding my other posting about trading in the AT for the KTM, well, err, I got about 22.000km on the KTM now but still own the AT. In fact I just got back from a 1.000km trip through the snowy Black Forest, with my son on his 125cc trailing. The AT is still the perfect bike for these casual, no time pressure-trips and I guess I´ll never sell it.

Cheers
Chris

Google+ album: http://tinyurl.com/6u93yv2
Dropbox with zip-File:  

1 - 20 of 31 Posts