Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Did Honda ever update the output shaft because of the splines & bearing failures, I've got a RD07 2003 reg & what is the difference between the RD07 & the RD07a

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi there. Welcome to the forum.

In this respect, I don't think that they have. Honda (rightly in my opinion [although other opinions are available:) ) do not recognise a problem here. If you use OEM sprockets, they wear out quicker than the shaft as they are of softer metal than the splines. It is the aftermarket sprockets that fix one problem (last longer) by introducing another (chewing up the output shaft). Strictly in my opinion, of course.

The replacement output shafts that people buy from Honda these days are I believe for a different bike altogether (Shadow ?) But they are interchangeable.

If your is made in 2003 it is almost certainly an RD07a. Although there are loads of differences between the two models, I don't think that output shafts were different. Other members may be along to tell me I am wrong , though. It happens. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
The spline wear problem is in fact a chain tension problem. Ensure the chain has enough slack and the spline will be ok.
This doesn't help of you've bought someone else's stuff up, but it is the cause.
This is the spline on my '03Transalp after about 180,000km sand 5 out of 7 replacement front sprockets that were non genuine. The chain needs at least what the decal on the swingarm states, preferably more.
No MOT inspections where I live, though I've heard people get faulted for the chain being too loose. So tighten it up for the inspection if requested, then loosen it up as soon as you get it out of their sight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts