Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need one for my XRV750 RD07A, are there alternatives to the Honda original aluminium one, searches appear to show plates that bolt onto the aluminium casting but not a replacement for the casting.
There do appear to be replacements for RD03/4 carriers that are different to the RD07/7A carrier
Are any 'carriers' available that are just handholds with little or no provision for carrying anything.
I have a full givi rack system but I rarely use the topbox or panniers so I would like to have the simple, and lighter handholds only option.
Honda XRV750 RD07 7A carrier.jpg
the part outlined in red is the part required

I have also added to the carrier wants thread.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have an RD07a and the carrier part you've highlighted is plastic on mine. As far as I know, it's the original part, but it's not the most robust bit of the bike.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that #1 is plastic/powder coated aluminium, #6 is the plastic cover. I checked my TA650 & I scratched the underside & that is aluminium under the surface finish.
XL1000V Varaderos have a similar rear carrier I drilled some extra holes in one to fit a small topbox and the drilling had metallic swarf.
Probably other Hondas have them & I expect they are all slightly different!
Was wondering if the TA650 one can be adapted as they are more common on EBay, but need to wait until I have removed the existing racking from the AT and not using the TA650 so I can make a comparison.
I have seen comments about carrier breakage on some forums.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That silver plastic carrier is not the strongest. And as people pull on its handle to put the heavy bike on its main stand, then no wonder that most of those carriers are cracked in the center. People forget that Honda supplied a steel handle to avoid cracking the plastic carrier. :D

Look for Honda part # 50525-MY1-000 for the correct steel handle.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda must have changed the carrier material for the later TA650 (2000 on) & Vara (1999 on) as a result of the breakages on the AT.
At least explains why they are in short supply compared to the TA650 ones.
Anyway off to collect the bike today

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everybody except me is correct! the carrier on the TA650 is plastic.
Did a test fitting of the TA650 carrier on the AT see pics .
The front mounts are the same spacing the rear mounting points do not match the AT rear but close enough to put a plate or ? between them. Matches the seat and is a bit lower than the original AT carrier (I think) so a bit easier to get leg over when a topbox plate is fitted.
Ordered a used TA650 carrier off ebay @£17.50 bit cheaper than AT carriers but may have to get some aluminium plate, got to search the scrap metal drawer first.
carrier1.jpg

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
TA650 rack now fitted to XRV750 RD07a
TA650 rack on XRV750 RD07a.jpg
I used 1" x 1/8" aluminium strip between the AT middle & rear rack attachment points, could be thicker or steel its what I had available.
The middle attachment points have a 18mm spacer but the strip could be bent instead. The front rack attachment points need a ~12mm spacer to raise the rack else it rubs the side panels.
The rear of the rack is attached to the strip with M6 bolts as there is not enough space for M8 nuts.
The rack should fit RD07 but will not fit RD03 or 4 as they have different racks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts