Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a look at the WR 450 for doing some green lanes and the odd enduro now and again.

First of all I was thinking of an XR400 but fancied something a little lighter and with electric start.

Has anybody owned one if what did you think of it?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I've been having a look at the WR 450 for doing some green lanes and the odd enduro now and again.

First of all I was thinking of an XR400 but fancied something a little lighter and with electric start.

Never owned one but heard lots of good reports about them the 250 maybe better for enduro and less of an handfull

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
:) Have you had a 250 then?
No, just tested one when I was looking for a small bike. It was awesome, pricey but awesome. I bought an XR125 instead,never rode it,sold it,and that was my flirt with little bikes over.Probably wouldn't be over if had bought the WR ? but it's all about the Dollar :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I know people who have had both the 250 and the 450, if it's mainly short sections of Tarmac then Trails, they say the 250 is the one to go for.
But if there are longer sections of Tarmac then the smaller bike is just too tiring so they have moved on to it's bigger brother.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Great bike, all the people I know who have one cant speak highly enough of it. Know someone who has had his from new and in 3 years has never had to adjust valves and has been very reliable. Oil changes need to be frequent but they are a powerful thumper and for trail riding with road work intermingled, as good as orange machines. Some say the power of the 450 is too much for tight trails but drop a couple of teeth off the back and you get an easier ride with better road work.
The only reason a 250 would be better is if you lived close to trails and didnt have to do hardly any road work.
The lightness comes at a price compared to say an XR4.... they bend easier:thumbright:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replies, all very interesting.

I was think of an XR400 but I like the thought of electric start and something a little lighter if I manage to get fit enough for some enduros again.

Where do people normally look for XRs & WRs? I've been looking on flea bay but not more there.

Marc

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Thanks for your replies, all very interesting.

I was think of an XR400 but I like the thought of electric start and something a little lighter if I manage to get fit enough for some enduros again.

Where do people normally look for XRs & WRs? I've been looking on flea bay but not more there.

Marc
I would look in your local papers and local areas also word of mouth is usually the best way. If you live in an area where there is a high amount off off roading someone will always know of someone who's got something for sale and usually how well it's been looked after..

Personally i wouldn't bother with ebay, just seems to be the place to get rid of rubbish or atleast distance yourself from it. My philosophy is if the bike was any good it would sell locally and wouldn't need national press to get rid of it. I know thats not always the case and some people do get bargains but i don't trust or like ebay very much theres to many scams etc going on. I play safe get one locally at least then you can always speak to the previous owner and will know where they live should you get a problem

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi marc (hi everyone just joined)
I got my wr450f in 2006 its on a 53 plate took ages to find a good one, in the end got it off ebay in yorkshire (bit of a trek up north) but so far it's been the best bike i've ever owned, use it mainly for green laneing, if the weathers really bad the vfr stays in the garage and i use the wr to get to work on. Check the valve clearances often but they are still in limit, if you get one just use good oil change regular and you won't be disappointed. Fell off it loads, its been underwater, tank deep in mud, cartwheeling down banks, the only things iv'e broke is the L/H rad but managed to get it welded up (they are not cheap new) and the headlight (half a brick kicked up from the cr in front). It starts 1st time every time on the starter and is still on the same battery. Had to change the front wheel bearings to pass the MOT last year, other than that plus the usual chain/sprockets tyres etc this bike has cost me little to maintain the engine is just awesome, hope this helps a bit.
Nelly.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
Several friends have or have had WR250s & 450s. One friend had a KTM450EXC who sold it to my brother. The friend then bought a new WR450 & tried to ride it slowly with little success. It was also very juicey & ended up fitting a bigger IMS or Clarke tank so's to get more range from the bike. He then took the bike along to an enduro track & couldn't believe how difficult it was to ride quickly for prolonged amounts of time. After witnessing another friends WR250F, he sold the 450F & bought a 250F.

Another friend has had a long list of dirt bikes, but the more recent list include a DRZ400E, which had a reliability problem then a WR450F which he said needed a steady hand on the throttle as it just wanted top rear up everywhere, & now rides a KTM 450EXC.

A friend who cannot make up his mind about what he does like had a CRM250 Mk1 & enjoyed it, but wanted something better so bought an early KTM300/2t which he said was just ballistic & he didn't manage to get higher in the gearbox than 4th. He then found out about a WR250F & has been enjoying that for a while now.

The WR250F seems to be becoming contagious in the Kent TRF as another friend who had a DRZ400S found it not the right sort of bike for what he needed so bought what other people were buying in a WR250F. The problem with this was that it was stolen from his garage. He amanaged to retrieve it as the toerag advertised it on fleebay with the special one off graphics still attached. The toerag is now awaiting some medical attention after getting a bit annoyed that my friend wanted the bike back without paying for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WOW 416cc, youve just about covered every bike that was on my shopping list when i was looking to get my WR. In choosing a bike you can only go on personal taste and reports gathered by friends, media etc.
Going by what youve said i've probably bought the wrong bike. Ive friends that have been to OZ and they say WR's are like block paving over there, there everywhere, that speaks volumes about the reliability. To be honest i've ridden a few different bikes and there isn't a great deal between most of them, what swung it for me was the reliability, i didn't want to be constantly paying out when things go wrong, so far it's paid off. Occasionally it's clumsy at very low speed and i think i should have gone for the 250, but then the path opens up and you nail it, your cheeks hurt after a while you are grinning so much :D:D:D:D:D i'm sure my arms are longer since i started riding it lol.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
Well a bloke that I met at the Surrey TRF had moved over here from New Zealand & brought his WR450F with him. But he complained that there was nowhere for him to really stretch its legs...so he sold it & kept his KTM Adventure 990 for the occasional green lane outing.

But another bloke from the KTM fraternity who also has a 990 Adv has bought himself a WR450F & enjoys it, not because of the power on tap, but because it was what came along at the right time. The only thing that Dave is working on now is the limited tank range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The tank range on this type of bike is always going to be limited as it's primary function is to be raced and weight is the issue here. A colleague of mine is new to the offroad scene and his first bike is a DRZe which has been great up to now but he feels the need to upgrade now and he's gone for the cr250 as he wanted something with similar power but lighter so i can't wait to have a blast to compare the 2

·
is away...
33 Posts
I have both - an XR400R (2003) and a WR450F (2010)...

To compare where I can, they both feel very stable and have great, supple/plush suspension - and physically the riding position/ergonomics/geometry feels pretty similar/the same - which is one of the reasons I went for the WR... however, the WR feels significantly lighter, and is narrower too of course... standard fuel range is a bit limiting on the WR (60 or so miles to reserve typically) but you can get an Acerbis 12 litre tank, and others such as Aqualine make options too.

My XR has bags of torque, and while the gearing 14/45 is great on trails, to be fair it soon runs out of steam on the road (although it will still hit 70mph, you do feel like you're murdering it!) - it's currently much happier around 55mph, and very easy going and tractable in all conditions.

In comparison, the WR is an animal! - even on 14/50 gearing, you wind it up, then realise you've still only got it on half throttle - the lil' ba5tard revs to over 10,000rpm! People who say the WR450 likes to light up the rear wheel do have a point! - it's not a bike you'd want to chugg around over technical terrain with, although the fueling is very good and it is surprisingly tractable for such an 'aggressive' engine. Of course I bought my WR as a race [rally] bike, but I would seriously consider one as a trail bike too, especially if you like to cover a lot of ground?

I'd say if you want a 'modern' XR (ie. lighter, and with E-start), then I'd say give the WR a go - you'll just have to change the oil a bit more regularly, that's all x

Jenny xx

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Spotted one this morning in a garage forecourt, while out walking. Awesome looking bike, bit pricey for a 2008 model though, about UKP5000. Am very tempted though, as I'm in the market for a 'runaround'/off roader as a stablemate for the Katie.:blob6:

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
Yamaha WR is a cracking machine. Have you bought one yet? I am selling a mint 2008 one. 416cc noticed your in kent aswell. Have you seen the new Kent forum? www.Kenttrailriding.co.uk
Hi Brightside (the same person on GJs?). I know of TRiK & TReK & have met a number of them up in Wales during enduros & rallies. Ian Roscow (who i've known since 1988) was one of the instigators of both. But the new site looks interesting & seems able to run alongside the Kent TRF, to which I attend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts