Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Yamaha XJ 750 80'sProject- now sold

Hi All, After watching too many episodes on 'Sons of Anarchy' I picked up an 80's beast, now she hasn't been on the road for a while (Tax ran out in 2000, but was stored inside) and I have spent many hours fiddling with the carbs (they were filthy) and got her running on 3 out of the four cylinders, and she would cruise around my bloke of garages, but when trying to tweak her that little bit more, she got a mush on and now she doesn't want to play (hence the project part)

Overall I would say she is in pretty good and solid condition for nearly 30 years old, she has less than 40K miles on the clock and is a UK model (not seca or maxim type US model) worst bit is the gaffa attack of a seat, altough it is a pretty staight forward rip underneath and preety easy to remedy (was down on the list after MoT and Tax etc)

Currently SORN'ed and paperwork in my name.

I've been walking around with the multimeter, but still tend to use it for sratching my bum and picking my nose with, I wanted a little project and can cope with moving parts, but electrical gremlins :(

Offers around £500 would be entertained.
186.jpg 185.jpg 184.jpg
I'm in Sunny Devon and your welcome to come and check her out, I'll even get a brew on:cheers:

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coorrr that's a pretty one, If I had some local help (that didn't cost £50/ hr) things might be different, but you have to play the cards you have. Thinking of chopping in my other bike in as well and going back to another Trannie or similar, sometimes its good to stick with what you know:cool:

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice that.
I do prefer Honda's but seem to be ending up with more Yams these days, JimJam if you fancy using some of your expertise on mine I'm sure you could work your magic and make a few pennies.
If someone wanted to make me a swappy option I happy to consider (or stick it with my TTR for something more)

·
Registered
179 Posts
ha, after years of modding bikes I have decided to stay away from old 4 cylinder machines :rolleyes: tuning 4 x old carbs is the biggest pain in the bum ( hence getting the dominator:thumbup:).The only "saving grace " with my old xj was that a friend needed to be taught how to use a dyno , so my bike was used as a guinea pig. they were 83bhp when new at the crank and mine managed 71 at the wheel which wasnt bad for a 30 odd year old bike with shaft drive .

Yours looks to be in very good condition , i would try ebay with a starting bid of £650 as its well worth it

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't blame you, carbs humph - I can see why folks moved to injection.

I will have another fiddle with the coil and leads etc to fix that gremlin (and hey if it fixed the niggles then I'd prob tax and test it and back to the original plan)

The 'Bay' is always a back up plan

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, well another fiddle and some shiny new plugs and the girl runs on 4, still a little smokey I think the floats are still too high.
Anyhows if someone wants an easy (relative) project for winter and doesn't want to part with cash I could swap for something fun!!
WHY?

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
It does look a nice bike with lots of potential & sensibly priced.
If only I had a few spare $$$ I think I'd be having that.

Good luck with the sale, Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Phil, will be a great project for someone with time and better spanners (lol) wanting to put the pennies together with my K100 pot and see what's out there at this time of year.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sold subject to cash and pick up :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts