Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Returning from SW today and about a 100km from house in Belgium I get fuel and when I go to start bike nothing. Hit starter again and it fires but dies, goes on a few more times so I pulled in to a stall. Pulled hose off of filter and lots of fuel flow. I go to pump side towards carb and nothing even when it fired for a split second no fuel coming out at all. When had just pulled same hose day before to get someone fuel and their was no issue. Had been riding all day returning from Switzerland and it ran great. I then remembered someone had said run fuel direct so I undid the line from carbs to pump and hooked direct to fuel filter and it started running. Manage to limp to house at 40-100kph in between it running out of fuel here and there I assume because direct line could not supply enough. When I had gotten off of freeway I heard a buzzing and it was the fuel pump running again, it had not been running previously and it was hot. So am I correct in assuming it is probably a fuel pump issue? it looks to be an original pump. And yes I have heard replace with a facet pump which I will do at this point. Also with the original having been running for awhile is it still rebuild-able as a spare? or just dump it. Figure it would not hurt to have an extra for trips at this point. Thanks

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Take the cap off the fuel pump (just one screw if i remember right) and run a nail file or piece of emery cloth between the points, you can check their condition while your at it they may need changing. be careful there isn't fuel around when your doing it or you will need a new bike to go with that pump :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Glad you made it back. Smart thinking on rerouting that fuel line. I replaced the points on my 2001 fuel pump after I let it run out of gas for the second time and the points were fried. All you need is a soldering iron and you're good to go. Probably should have pull the plug on the pump. I know letting them run dry is not a good thing. Best to find a replacement if you can. You can replace the points and see what it does or just use it as a spare. Many have replaced their pump with the facet. I bought one for mine RD07a, but never used it as I didn't want to put a square peg in a round hole. Last I heard the new owner of my bike is still running on the original pump I replaced the points in 4 years ago.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tore pump out today and points are black and have some pitting, are the points the usual cause of failure on these? I will get it running hopefully tomorrow but not planning any trips until I get a new pump installed. Are the Facet pumps plug and play ? Need it running again as it is summer and need to get a few more trips in

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I tore pump out today and points are black and have some pitting, are the points the usual cause of failure on these? I will get it running hopefully tomorrow but not planning any trips until I get a new pump installed. Are the Facet pumps plug and play ? Need it running again as it is summer and need to get a few more trips in
The electrical connector will not match the Honda, I grafted the plug from an old Honda pump on to the Facet then just zip tied the pump to the frame where it sat happily for a few years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts