Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Successfully installed a new universal kit on the @ yesterday, but have a question about the flow rate. I have the adjustment dial up to 9-MAX and it is only dropping out at about 1-2 drops per minite, timed both at the garage and at home this morning, is this usual? Is it because it's a new unit that the rate is so slow? I noticed in other threads that the usual setting is around 5-6 on the dial.
(I have checked the discharge line and it isn't kinked or squashed, etc. The reservoir is under the left side cover, just down from the rectifier and the breather line tubing neatly shielded and tucked behind the CDI unit. The vacuum line is attached as per Scottoiler instruction and the RMV seems to be working properly. The average daily temperature here is about 32-36 deg. C, so I don't think it's a fluid viscosity problem as the oil is the high temp variety, 20-40 deg.C type)
Anyone got any ideas please? :scratch:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You're not the only one with this "issue" Mine sits on the x of max, anything less than that and I get 1 drop a week, if at all

·
Registered
188 Posts
just a guess but has it been primed properley. Doggledon are you using the genuine scott oiler oil or something else? But in my experiance one to two drops a minute is all you need to be honest.

London Bubble

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I've had a scottoiler on 2 GPz750s, 1 XL250, 2 FJ1200s and 2 ATs. I've fiited them to friends' GPz550, XT250, Triumph Tiger (injection) and probably a few more I've forgotten about. They all had to have different settings on the reservoir to get the 2 drips per minute flow rate, even on the same model of bike. It seems to depend on the temperature, the oil, the height of the reservoir above the feed tube to the sprocket and the angle of the reservoir.

Oh and I've blown one up priming it with a footpump when I got lazy. They don't half go with a bang.

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx alot for the info Gents,
I don't feel so bad now then! Yea, sure it's a genuine Mk-7 Universal kit, as they give you 3 nice stickers with the pack, and of course only about 1/2 of the stuff they supply, you actually need when fitting it to the @. I bought the kit in Singapore, from a very reputable dealer and have the Hi-Temp oil as standard. 500ml bottle of it as a starter pack, but really appreciate the advice in previous threads for anti-fling chainsaw oil. All of our coconut lumber here in "Hicksville, P.I.(Philippines)" is cut by chainsaw, so getting more shouldn't be a problemo.
:D

·
Registered
235 Posts
the dual injector is also something worth looking at, it delivers drops to both sides of the chain directly over where needed :D

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thnx again CCM,
I wondered about the dual injector, is that just a Y fork outta the original tubing, possible to make locally or is it an altogether different system?
From what I saw on the website fitting and the Mk-7 kit instructions, my rear sprocket differs as it seems to have a type of inner "tracking"(?) guard, so fitting a single injector on the outside, is not possible as per the piccies/diagrams. We had to angle the injector head into the centre, about 2-3 cms before the rear sprocket, taking into account the rise in height of the lower part of the chain when accelerating, seems to work.
Did a 100km run yesterday home after fitting at my mechanic mate's shop, and see that most of dirt and gunk (spray lube) I previously applied is now relocated onto my rear hub! I guess the S'oiler must be working as I can now see the chain clearly as opposed to a nasty, black, fuzzy loop!!
:shock:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
captaincaveman said:
the dual injector is also something worth looking at, it delivers drops to both sides of the chain directly over where needed :D
Agreed, it's a must-have imho and fits the AT as if it was custom-designed for it, and easier to install than the single injector! 8)

Running 9 in hot weather leaves little adjustment for colder weather. I guess priming should help you increasing the flow; I run mine at about 3-4 (standard Scott-oiler oil)in warm weather up-to 6-7 in winter (if I can be bothered to adjust it at all :wink: ). Also make sure the air-breather hose isn't blocked anywhere. Maybe the height of the reservoir relative to the injector makes a difference, although on my bike it isn't particularly high-up (sit next to the rear-brake cilinder).

Personally, I'd stick with Scottoiler oil: It's not cheap compared to most other oily substances but adds virtually zero to a bike's total running costs and it works really good. Ironically, you don't need (or even want-) overly sticky oil as used for chain-saws because of the constant flow. And it's that constant flow that prevents dirt-particles from sticking on and damaging the chain's O-rings. 8)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I gave up with mine after it decided to piss oil all over the place after the Chelsea Bridge visit. Now I have it removed completely. The new chain and sprockets are going on this week, I think Ill just make sure the chain is cleaned and waxed.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Its in the garage wrapped in paper towels. Its yours if you want it.. if its dribbled oil over the TVR, its heading for the bin !

·
Swedish member
43 Posts
Hi
Please let me know how you mounted the dual injector to your AT.
My current "single" injector is routed on the underside of the swing arm and lets the drops of oil out at about 4 o'clock on the rear sprocket.
In this way the drop is pushed into the chain as it passes the back-most part of the sprocket before it turns around and goes up and back to the front sprocket.

I am unable to find a good way of mounting the dual injector though. So, any description and or pictures of your solution is much appreciated.
Thanks

Agreed, it's a must-have imho and fits the AT as if it was custom-designed for it, and easier to install than the single injector! 8)

Running 9 in hot weather leaves little adjustment for colder weather. I guess priming should help you increasing the flow; I run mine at about 3-4 (standard Scott-oiler oil)in warm weather up-to 6-7 in winter (if I can be bothered to adjust it at all :wink: ). Also make sure the air-breather hose isn't blocked anywhere. Maybe the height of the reservoir relative to the injector makes a difference, although on my bike it isn't particularly high-up (sit next to the rear-brake cilinder).

Personally, I'd stick with Scottoiler oil: It's not cheap compared to most other oily substances but adds virtually zero to a bike's total running costs and it works really good. Ironically, you don't need (or even want-) overly sticky oil as used for chain-saws because of the constant flow. And it's that constant flow that prevents dirt-particles from sticking on and damaging the chain's O-rings. 8)

·
Registered
204 Posts
IMG00366-20110526-2010.jpg IMG00371-20110526-2015.jpg IMG00367-20110526-2010.jpg
Thats how I did it. BTW, meter at max and a slooowww flow. The dual injector is great, go for it if U can.
Si...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts