Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK: as some may have seen in my other maintenance thread, the rear end is in pieces. Only the swing arm to go. I now have some tasks that I need input on before taking stuff apart.

I will powder coat the swing arm.
  1. Rear Linkage: is it worth blasting, then powder coating the various shock linkage parts? (they have surface rust after 17 year , but little more)
  2. Shock: If I undo the preload ring as much as I can before it comes off the threads, will the spring still be under tension? (if so I can't dismantle it myself)
  3. Spring: Would blasting and powder-coating the shock spring do it any harm? (the oven heating part, particularly)
  4. Swingarm: Apart from massive torque settings are there any diffculties in removing a swingarm?
If you can answer any of the above, I'd be grateful! This week's gonna be busy 'n' greasy!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
All the obove are ok BUT the spring will still be under tension , Your have to make a jig so you can compress the spring to take off and to put back on.
You can buy the jig or you can make one ,Google it your'll see.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the obove are ok BUT the spring will still be under tension , Your have to make a jig so you can compress the spring to take off and to put back on.
You can buy the jig or you can make one ,Google it your'll see.
I actually made a jig like that, but out of double thickness plywood: a small section so it won't flex.

I can perhaps make an adaptor plate for the TA shock. All I need to do is undo the two rings until the lock ring is off and the preload ring is almost off. Let my jig take the pressure, sping off the preload ring, release tension.

If I do it quickly, I think they should be able to take the tension.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't actually think I'm going to bother with the shock.

It seems to work well enough, so why fix it if it isn't broken? I'll clean it up, and see how it looks, but the central metal cylinder that runs in and out of the sort of black shaft, under the spring (this shock does not have your usual plunger rod in the middle...:eek:) is all scored.

So I wonder if it is worth the effort of dismantling, sand blasting and recoating the spring if the rest of the shock is a bit buggered, unless I can rebuild the whole thing, and for less than Wilbers Ecoline

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 collars dead!!

Total spent on a full rear end rebuild and a new chain/sprocket now about £375-400!!

Chain and sprocket
2 collars
total of 11 bearings
total of 12 seals
sandblasting
powdercoating
some mechanical help with removing/fitting bearings

Horrible!! All this only came to light because I decide to re-coat my swingarm!
I think I need a sit down!!!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Never expect any rebuild to be straight forward.
I would look at the cost of a replacements including the complete unit for the rear shock, if intending to update, sometimes just buying a new spring which is already coated is cheaper than doing the work yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts