Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaned my brakes properly last night but due to low light conditions I did not notice that the rear brake hose had come out of it's clip and was touching the exhaust. This is the result..

Could've been much worse I guess because I had brake fluid all over the right-hand side of the rear tyre. Still feel like an idiot though!

Anybody know what the cheapest replacement would be and where I can get it? I've not real desire to fork out a lot of money on a braided hose for the rear brake.

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
Cleaned my brakes properly last night but due to low light conditions I did not notice that the rear brake hose had come out of it's clip and was touching the exhaust. This is the result..

Could've been much worse I guess because I had brake fluid all over the right-hand side of the rear tyre. Still feel like an idiot though!

Anybody know what the cheapest replacement would be and where I can get it? I've not real desire to fork out a lot of money on a braided hose for the rear brake.
Both wemoto and david silvers do lines..
http://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn?oid=5834417

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/pattern-parts/
and

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
EEP!

A lot of bike shops can make up a braided hose for you if you turn up with the original line for reference. Cheaper than buying kits. Bill Bunn out in Ealing did one for my old Toxic ******* for good money.

Would probably be cheaper than buying an original expandahose line too.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke to my local bike shop and they're asking £25 for a replacement braided hose. They'll make it up and install it on the spot for £25.

David Silver wanted £49 for the Honda one and £37 for a braided hose.

Wemoto wanted £29 regardless of whether it's braided or not.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Replaced mine with braided so have one here if you need it. Could bring it over tomorrow.

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Yes you idjit should of known when I accidently popped the piston out of the front caliper last night that something was bound to happen on your way home like normal :D

We have been through this procedure several times now over the years. You bring your bike to my place, we fix it till it's broke and then you go 1/2 a mile down the road before you return to tighten up or fix something else again. Only then do you go home with it semi sorted :rolleyes: You missed a step last night so that's what happens :toothy2: If you can stick braided hoses on the bike would be much better already. Could always take up Whealies offer and save up for a full set. Just put a weekend aside for it so we don't run out of time :thumbleft:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Could always take up Whealies offer and save up for a full set. Just put a weekend aside for it so we don't run out of time :thumbleft:
Can bring it over to you in the evening or up to town (if you are still in Westminster) during the day.

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Went the whole hog last year and replaced all hoses with the Wemoto "german stuff", brought me alot more peace of mind in the long run.:thumbup:

·
ignore the vain
943 Posts
I usually scour ebay for used braided hoses had some real bargains and made a fair few ets up saves buying those kits. On avaerage pay a quid for em:toothy1:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whealie to the rescue!! Thanks dude! Man I love this site

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Thanks Whealie, got the goods Lootch hopefully we won't break something else whilst fitting it :joker:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Whealie, got the goods Lootch hopefully we won't break something else whilst fitting it :joker:
No, I got home without any problems - still a new sensation for me :D.

Thanks again Whealie!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
No probs. It was sat in my garage for three months unused. Glad to be of help.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Mav, you mentioned some brake bleeding kit you used. Don't forget to post the details.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got Speed bleeders on my front calipers which work really great. Much less effort than bleeding them the usual way or using a vacuum pump. The rear is standard but that took the best part of 5 minutes to change the fluids.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts