Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings chaps.
I have just spent four days cleaning my sons tank of 30 yrs of gunge to get it ready for him for summer.
After being satisfied that the tank was ok I thought I would rinse it out to get it ready for the tank sealant that I am going to give my own projects tank.
When I was rinsing the tank out I thought I would check to make sure the newish looking tap was working ok.
I put the tap on to reserve and soapy water came gushing out but when I put it onto the on position ,only a trickle came out like it does when you want to piss in the middle of the night but cant.:D:D:D

10004593.jpg

I removed the filter bowl at the bottom to see if it was bunged up with goop but it was fine.
After further investigation I removed the top tube in the photo and found that the hole was only 3.5mm which is obviously a design flaw in the casting of the tap because the reserve petrol hole ,bottom one was 4mm.
I got a 4mm drill and made the hole bigger and now all is well.
The reason behind my rambling post?
Under no circumstances buy chinese parts for your bike because its not worth the hassle.
I am glad I discovered why my sons bike wasnt running properly ,I thought it was the carb blocked or the tank full of crap but it turned out to be a cheap chinese petrol tap that the previous owner had fitted instead of servicing the original Yamaha tap.
Never to old to learn huh:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I bought a z 650 that was bored out to 720cc years ago I got a prick to rebuild the engine for me as it needed a new cam chain and primary chain . it came with a pingel high flow tap he liked it so decided he was keeping it and told me it was leaking and I needed to get a new tap funny I never noticed it leaking ? . I should have took the pingle with me . I left in a z 1100 to another arsehole to balance the carbs cant say I noticed any difference in the carbs but my petrol tap started leaking the tap on his own z probably stopped at the same time . you don't have to be a **** to fix peoples bikes but it probably helps . I had a leak on the transalp bought a tap repair kit that sorted it just make sure to fit it correctly and ride up and down in front of your house for a mile to make sure its flowing . don't ask me how im such an expert on the matter :lol:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After checking on the interweb I discovered the tap is off a Yamaha DT80 which has 8bhp and there is no way its going let a DT125 with 22bhp have enough petrol.
I have spent ages doing work that didnt need to be done because of the kraut dumkopf not ordering the right part for the bike.
Just ordered the right one from Wemoto which jnr will have to pay for as its his bike.:clown::clown::clown:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts