Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My eldest went through her radio training for St John Ambulance and passed her test on Friday.

Today, she was on foot patrol at a do in Chingford and was issued with her radio for the first time.

The radios are linked to each other, the ambulances stationed about the place and central control.

I wanted to know how it all went - she had the usual cuts and grazes, dehydration, a few drunks and a very nasty amputation of the top of a finger.

Course, I'm beaming with pride my 13 year old is out there in the thick of it, in her smart uniform, bringing calm, solace and succor to all of human kind.

Oh, there was just one bit that wasnt so good, she pips up.

When we were debriefing, she sez, there was a note from Central Control for me, to say my Radio was not to be used again for ordering fish and chips for me lunch :blah5:

It's no wonder the world is in the state it's in.

:toothy7::toothy7::toothy7:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
they should be grateful someone that age wants to help them out!
they might get a few more recruits if she can go to school and tell her mates she orders fish suppers with her walkie talkie.

they do a good job and i know H&S and insurance have probably regulated them up the armpits, but some of them take themselves a bit too seriously. i wanted a plaster for my wife's blister at a music festival years ago, and traipsed through the crowds to their aid station to be told they cant give me one. they have to see the "patient" in person because we might be wrong about the necessary treatment. i bought a pack of plasters in the mobile camp shop on the way back. captain mainwaring is alive and well

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
yes the plaster thing, was talking about this with the staff at a national trust property one day, my wife had a first aid qualification at the time, anyhow they could not give anyone plasters in case of allergic reactions etc
but you can buy them i the shop and put em on yourself
Merv

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
at least she wasn't trying to send texts from it
You don't know her - she probably spend half an hour trying :D

they might get a few more recruits if she can go to school and tell her mates she orders fish suppers with her walkie talkie.
Lol - very true - I had to laugh though - only my little pumpkin could look at the radio and think, let me find out who's near the chippie :D

Her biggest claim to fame so far is she strapped up some actress or other off East enders or Corrie or some such during the London Marathon.

They're impressively set up I have to say, with doctors and what not on the ambulances. It's great for the kids, gives them something really positive to do, and they get to see the best and worst of people in a controlled way; it's great for their confidence.

She was shocked at one duty when a 15 year old brought in her baby to her station, the baby blue from the cold. The 15 year old mother had no idea what was wrong with the child. My little one was stunned she had a child at that age, and stunned she had no idea how to care for it. She commented afterwards that's what happens I suppose when a child becomes a mother! Now, no amount of lecturing from me would ever have had the same impact as her meeting that child/mother!!!! I'm hoping she will remember that when I can no longer tell her what time to be home at!!!!!!!!!!!!

They get to see all sorts, meet all sorts, but in a controlled manner in that they are with or near to section leaders ready to jump in if needed.

And of course as and when I keel over, she'll be calm and know exactly what to do - if she's not too busy ordering her fish and chips that is :D

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes the plaster thing, was talking about this with the staff at a national trust property one day, my wife had a first aid qualification at the time, anyhow they could not give anyone plasters in case of allergic reactions etc
but you can buy them i the shop and put em on yourself
Merv
I was once in an office and asked the receptionist if she had any painkillers as I had a killer migraine and was going into a meeting where I knew the florescent lights were going to make my head explode.

She said she had, but she refused point blank to give me any as she didnt know I wouldnt have an allergic reaction. I told her I live on painkillers as I have regular migraines and have had all my life. She said I could just be saying that to her, and she doesnt know Im either allergic, or intending to overdose myself.

I thanked her politely and went into the meeting!!!!

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
I was once in an office and asked the receptionist if she had any painkillers as I had a killer migraine and was going into a meeting where I knew the florescent lights were going to make my head explode.

She said she had, but she refused point blank to give me any as she didnt know I wouldnt have an allergic reaction. I told her I live on painkillers as I have regular migraines and have had all my life. She said I could just be saying that to her, and she doesnt know Im either allergic, or intending to overdose myself.

I thanked her politely and went into the meeting!!!!

Ha ha ha did she not think that as a qualified nurse you'd have some idea about medications

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I did a few years with the St John Ambulance Brigade.
Because of it I met the Pope, I met and treated quite a few Famous athletes.
I also got to see Bob Marley and Ultravox Live at the Crystal Palace open air concert bowl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts